April 18, 2024, 03:06:26 PM

collapse

Author Topic: New Nexus 7, 32GB owner. I am having very bad battery life.. Details inside.  (Read 9586 times)

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
My battery life seems less than my 16. I was at 30 percent after three hours of browsing on low light. I also have the screen lightning more often. I I wish I could catch it on a capture. When does that Nexus 10 come out? <evilgrin>>:D

It is extremely unlikely that using a 32 GB SD chip in the same position where a 16 GB SD chip used to go would cause any significant difference in battery drain.  Larger memory ICs just do not draw that much more power.  Some other factor is at work, either in the 32 GB versions hardware design, or in the OS or app software in use.

Offline cehowardn7

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
I own a nexus 7 also and I'm finding the thing more and more annoying to use generally... Do they actually want people to buy these things??? Nothing works properly.  The app store is practically alien compared to the phone app store and most apps don't even work on this white elephant.   Anyway the reason for this reply is to ask any of you guys above a question..
Is it possible to actually start a topic on this nexus app, or is it only good to read and reply to others ?  I'm not finding a way to start a topic.   

I would appreciate a reply.  Thanks.

I am a newbie too. With that said, if I was you, I to return it and get something else. If in your opinion nothing works properly and you considered it a white elephant, your mind is almost completely made up that the unit is bad. Life is too short to be bother by something when you don't have to be. Take it back quickly.  8)

ceh, old dirty and fast!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
That is three times I have seen the  "white elephant" reference. Actually,now 4 times. I'm guilty of quoting twice. We need  an app that makes the frustrated Nexus customer with so many perceived problems that they won't explain themselves or even try to put some effort into learning. POOF!
The White Elephant app will rid yourself of every Nexus 7 issue.
The issues include many hours of battery life to enjoy pretty much anything you throw at her. Work related? It's covered as well. Kids bothering you. Got it covered. Navigating a unfamiliar trip without wifi? Got it. Screen lift? Flickering?For sure hardware problem?  We will fix it.
All the app is going to show is a white elephant and a complaint button. When you hit the button it is going to say You don't think I heard or saw everything you wrote or said about me? At least, I have the initiative to learn. "Now you insulted me" BYE BYE. A shutdown. A message that appears to Asus when they get it for service that says I broke this device through ignorance. Please don't replace it.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My battery life seems less than my 16. I was at 30 percent after three hours of browsing on low light. I also have the screen lightning more often. I I wish I could catch it on a capture. When does that Nexus 10 come out? <evilgrin>>:D

It is extremely unlikely that using a 32 GB SD chip in the same position where a 16 GB SD chip used to go would cause any significant difference in battery drain.  Larger memory ICs just do not draw that much more power.  Some other factor is at work, either in the 32 GB versions hardware design, or in the OS or app software in use.
Seriously speaking, I have noticed (without documenting to be sure) a difference in the life of my battery from my last device. Embarrassingly enough, I developed a feel for the first one because of the amount of time it was in my hands. It's like a watch and being in the kitchen. After a while, you know pretty much what time it is without needing the watch. This device does not get as good a battery life as the last one. I am trying not to dispute that  amounts  SD space doesn't have have an effect on battery performance because that would be ignorant ..don't know the real answer. Without knowing for sure, I think a machine has to process thru normal use searching, browsing apps etc has an easier time with less information. A bigger storage space means  more data and information to go through. We are talking same RAM with bigger storage space. I think the machine is working harder. I am hoping some of the pros in the room can elaborate. I know Prime is a pro and I consider BFM and JJ to know their Android Crap as well. I don't know why it is happening. Maybe this battery is just not exactly like the other one That happens in manufacturing these days I have only had two devices and that is all I can use to make a educated guess on to why.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
bjs229, nah.  That's not it.  If you use the same apps, they use the same amount of RAM to work with the same files, regardless of how much RAM is there in total.   Further, the CPU accesses and processes in it's own 1GB of dedicated RAM in both the 32 and 16 GB models.  The only difference is how many apps or data you can load into your extra sd ram.  Most of the time, all that extra SDRAM is in idle mode until the I/O activates the addresses containing the data it needs.

Now it would be possible that later versions of apps use more RAM than previous versions, run more in the background, open more processes, etc. but in reality, accessing RAM employs miniscule amounts of energy compared to lighting up the screen, driving wifi circuits, etc.

If you now have a 'LIVE' desktop display background, it will use MUCH more juice than the additional SDRAM, for instance

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bad battery. 5 hrs tops on low light.

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
........Navigating a unfamiliar trip without wifi? Got it.
  You can already do this on Nexus...

Offline seamonkey

• View Profile
Haha... Your comment made me chuckle.... All be it about 6 weeks later.    Excellent

Offline Melliejoy

• I void warranties, for fun I mean science...
    • View Profile
I've found by 16Gb N7's battery lasts all day but takes all night to charge. Has anyone else noticed this? I can squeeze a whole day out of Edi's battery but she charges soooo slowly...

Apparently the iPad 3 is exactly the same in this regard.

*shrug*
Good stories are not made, but born. To watch one awaken at your fingertips is a gift of indescribable proportions.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
I've noticed several different charging rates on the battery graph in settings. Usually either a ~45 or 30 degree rise.
Sometimes, replugging the jack on a slow charge will give an almost vertical rise on the graph. Tap the graph for a close up, if you see a red bar that is the nfc on I believe.

The amperage accepted by the charging circuit may be related to the temperature of the battery. If there is a thermistor involved. So I'm now charging out of the case for better heat dissipation. Topping off the battery, when idle,  instead of a complete charge will result in a longer battery life, imo.

Also a complete power down should help speed up the charge.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman