March 29, 2024, 06:05:37 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How Can I Play Music from My Thumb Drive?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline johns1959

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How Can I Play Music from My Thumb Drive?
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
Hello All,

Sorry for all the newby questions.  I have a 32G thumb drive and an OTG cable.  I downloaded Nexus Media Importer to my N7.  I was able to load some music on my Thumb drive in a folder named 'Music' (I know not very creative).  I am able to see the files and play them one at a time using NMI but I can't figure out how to get the music player that came with the N7 to locate them.  Is there a way point the player to the thumb drive?  Is there another player that can interface them?  Do I have to store the files in the N7 internal memory?  Please advise...

Regards,

John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:12:05 PM by JayJ »

JayJ

Re: How Can I Play Music from My Thumb Drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
I can't say for sure as I haven't tried Music via a Thumb drive but I would imagine as OTG isn't native to the Nexus 7 that the Play Music app doesn't have the settings to search externally for music.
I would suggest either storing the Music locally or using something like N7 Player or Power Amp as these Music players can have file paths dictated to them in their settings.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:19:09 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
I believe NMI has its own music player . I wanted to point to apps as well to play Karaoke files  and Dustin the developer recommended that I root and go a different direction. Stick mount allows you to do what you are asking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline johns1959

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Thanks,

I moved the music to the N7 internal memory and it works great now.  I appreciate your help!

Regards,

John

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »
Glad we could help...

Sent from my AOKP Nexus 4

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
1) A running copy of Nexus Media Importer (NMI) is required to access files on any microUSB connected storage but does not allow other apps to access those files.

2) NMI only allows reading of certain (media) file types on external storage and will "pipe" or direct the file stream to any app you select.  For example, you click a .MP3 file and tell NMI to use WinAmp to play the data streamed.

3) unless you can get NMI to send a playlist to a compatible player, only one 'file' can be played at a time.  This is not an issue for a movie file since it can be piped to MXplayer, say, and will play for over an hour but it is a pain to play music 3 minutes a pop.

4) BUT you can use a program like http://www.shchuka.com/software/mergemp3/  to combine as many mp3 files as you like into one in a few seconds and then play that one file.

5) you can use NMI to transfer files to your local storage and then use them however you like but that storage is READ ONLY so you can not move file TO the external drive from the N7.

If you root your N7 and employ stickmount, you may play media files (and all other files) however you like and move them back and forth as you like.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman