March 29, 2024, 02:16:24 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?  (Read 21052 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
For anyone who has their N7 what did you find unexpected, good or bad...  I've read LOTS of articles highlighting the major features, but is there anything you noticed that works better than you expected?  What about geewiz features you've found that you think aren't getting enough attention?  Or on the flip slide is there anything you expected to be amazing that ended up being bunk?

Just curious --

Sam

Offline spungeworthy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

Just curious --

Sam

Wut up Sam,

I responded to your Q on the other thread... as for the N7, it was incredibly easy to root and unlock. It took about 10 min lol other than that it runs like a champ , but I have only had it for 2 days. there was 2 small problems I found. Its sometimes very annoying to copy a URL it just refuses to work... and the expansion of your notifications is retarded. Its solo hard to expand them mainly because you have to pinch out on the notification itself and my fingers are 2 big... I can mange to get the 3rd notification to expand but that's it : (

Offline samalex

• View Profile
Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:03 AM »
Some notes from my end after using the N7 for a few hours:

Pro's -
Beautiful! 
I love the new revamped Google apps like Gmail and G+
It's super fast
GPS is great! Google Sky Maps works like a champ
Microphone seems to pickup very well
The display is amazing

Con's -
No way to make calls through Google Voice - bummer
USB Mass Storage (UMS) has been removed, only MTP and PTP are supported, both of which are crap protocols.  This was hugely unexpected since Calibre and some other apps don't support these protocols.
Amazon Prime/VOD doesn't work on ICS or Jellybean - to be expected I guess
Camera is rather week and is horrid with skype -- though will probably be fixed soon (hopefully)

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
Some notes from my end after using the N7 for a few hours:

Pro's -
Beautiful! 
I love the new revamped Google apps like Gmail and G+
It's super fast
GPS is great! Google Sky Maps works like a champ
Microphone seems to pickup very well
The display is amazing

Con's -
No way to make calls through Google Voice - bummer
USB Mass Storage (UMS) has been removed, only MTP and PTP are supported, both of which are crap protocols.  This was hugely unexpected since Calibre and some other apps don't support these protocols.
Amazon Prime/VOD doesn't work on ICS or Jellybean - to be expected I guess
Camera is rather week and is horrid with skype -- though will probably be fixed soon (hopefully)

I think if you unlock and root you there is probably a way to turn USB mass storage on. 

Pros:

-Chrome is super fast, wow
-The screen is really good
-its fast, as expected

Comments: I am really glad I got the 16GB version, I put my 3GB of music onto it and i also downloaded the free transformer movie, this along with all my apps leaves me with 7GB Free. 

Cons:

- I am struggling to come up with any cons, LOL
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
I think if you unlock and root you there is probably a way to turn USB mass storage on. 

Pros:

-Chrome is super fast, wow
-The screen is really good
-its fast, as expected

Comments: I am really glad I got the 16GB version, I put my 3GB of music onto it and i also downloaded the free transformer movie, this along with all my apps leaves me with 7GB Free. 

Cons:

- I am struggling to come up with any cons, LOL

I'm a contrarian of sorts, I can find con's on anything I guess :-D  Most of the things I noted are gotchas I pretty much expected (except for no UMS support), but in all the N7 is an amazing little device for sure.  Also I'm with you, I'm glad I went with the 16 Gig unit too.  I'll probably drop a few gigs of Music on it as well, plus I'm a fanatic Podcast addict so I'll probably download a few hundred megs a week on it from that.

Offline sixpack

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »

got mine 16gb yesterday.

My suprise was that it was DOA.
hit the power button and the Google logo appeared for a second, then vanished and nothing.......

Called customer support and the said that they would pass the issue to a supervisor and get back to me....haven't heard anything since

Offline coolbreeze

• Popularity: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »

got mine 16gb yesterday.

My suprise was that it was DOA.
hit the power button and the Google logo appeared for a second, then vanished and nothing.......

Called customer support and the said that they would pass the issue to a supervisor and get back to me....haven't heard anything since

Wow, that sucks about the N7 and the customer support, although with the experiences I have had with them it does not surprise me. It is funny that when I asked customer support what advantages we had for preordering through GP vs getting one at Gamestop or Staples, his reply was if you get it and there is a problem we will be there to help you. Well, not so much I guess.

Hope it gets taken care of for you. Sorry to hear you are having problems.
Razr Maxx , Nexus 7

Offline pduffer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
You did try charging it didn't you?

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
I love the android Beam with my galaxy nexus.  I also really like the build quality. My only coins are no rear camera, no expandable storage, and no mass storage devices. And those are actually all easy to work around so this may be the tablet I was looking for.

Offline sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:11:08 AM »
Yea, charged it up, did nothing. Heard from customer service yesterday, i should charge another 249.00 to my card and order a replacement and then send back the broken one and
 if they determine that i didn't break it, they will take the second 249.00 off my credit card. 

Offline pduffer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »
Gee, that sounds like a terrible way of supporting a product.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
Yea, charged it up, did nothing. Heard from customer service yesterday, i should charge another 249.00 to my card and order a replacement and then send back the broken one and
 if they determine that i didn't break it, they will take the second 249.00 off my credit card.
I would have said "I'll send it back and you can replace it or refund my money. Please give me an RA number."

Have you tried the old "hold the power button for ten seconds" trick?

Offline sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
I would have said "I'll send it back and you can replace it or refund my money. Please give me an RA number."

got ahold of tech support on the phone, they walked me through the hold for 10 sec, and a couple other things. Still doesn't work.
he said that he would pass the problem on to someone else and they would get back to me, 3 days later they told me to order another one and send the broken one in so they could verify it was broken and refund the money. Another 3 days passed and no word on when replacement will ship.

i am writing them a letter asking for refund and forget the replacement.

target has ipad 2 for 399 with a 25.00 target credit, so for about 125.00 more that the Nexus I can get an Ipad, but more importantly, i will get customer support..

Offline coolbreeze

• Popularity: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »

got ahold of tech support on the phone, they walked me through the hold for 10 sec, and a couple other things. Still doesn't work.
he said that he would pass the problem on to someone else and they would get back to me, 3 days later they told me to order another one and send the broken one in so they could verify it was broken and refund the money. Another 3 days passed and no word on when replacement will ship.

i am writing them a letter asking for refund and forget the replacement.

target has ipad 2 for 399 with a 25.00 target credit, so for about 125.00 more that the Nexus I can get an Ipad, but more importantly, i will get customer support..

Can't blame you. Such a shame that this wonderful tablet has  what is in my mind the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Good luck with the Ipad.
Razr Maxx , Nexus 7

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »

I downloaded the T-r-a-n-s-f-o-r-m-e-r-s movie (hyphenated to confuse that damn V-i-g-L-i-n-k) as well, but can't locate it using ASTRO FILE MANAGER

Is it in a hidden (locked) folder somewhere ??

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:38:32 AM by CBers »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts