March 28, 2024, 04:31:12 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Let's talk "Tizen"...  (Read 1610 times)

JayJ

Let's talk "Tizen"...
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:52 PM »
Anybody here interested in Tizen?

What do we know about Tizen other than it's open-source and the successor to MeeGo, that it's being developed by Intel in conjunction with Samsung and Samsung have confirmed that it will release Tizen handsets in 2013...

The rumour mill that is the internet is full of "rumours" that Samsung's first Tizen device will be the GT-I9500 but that's also rumoured to be this years flagship model, the Galaxy S4...

We know that Samsung's nose has been put out of joint by Googles acquisition of Motorola Mobility so will Samsung truly drop Android for a new untested mobile OS on a flagship handset? An OS which is very immature when compared to Android, which is only now coming of age.

So, how do you feel about another mobile OS? Even if it is more open-source than Android?
Does Tizen interest you? Will Samsung really release a flagship handset with a new unknown, untested mobile OS? What effect, if any, will this have on Android as a maturing mobile OS? Samsung isn't too be sniffed at being the largest Android OEM. If Samsung does drop Android, who will fill that gap? LG? HTC?

This a very knowledgeable community with some very clever and interesting members so I think a topical discussion is in order...

Sent from my Nexus 4
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:01:47 PM by JayJ »

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk "Tizen"...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Some good questions.  I think that Samsung may well develop a new mobile OS.  That said, I don't think they will drop Android in the near future.  Why?  Because they make a lot of dollars selling lots of devices with Android.  Perhaps in five or ten years they may quit drop Android and release a Tizen phone.

Does it interest me and how do I feel about it?  About the same as Windows Phone 7, Symbian, Palm, OS/2, Web OS, etc.  The only ones that will really care are geeks and the investors.  The average phone user is interested in the hardware, not the operating system.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

JayJ

Re: Let's talk "Tizen"...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
I'm in no doubt that we'll see Tizen handsets from Samsung this year and I also agree that I can't see Samsung dropping Android anytime soon but I don't think if Tizen does well it'll take 5-10 years....more like 2-3 years max...

Do you really think even the average person is only interested in the hardware? I disagree, I think more people are interested in the operating system these days. I think people that are comfortable with iOS will in the most part stick to iOS and people comfortable with Android will in the most part stick with Android.
In all honesty i don't know how well Tizen will be received, I do think the development community will be quick to pick it up and I can see it doing well in poorer countries because from what I've read Tizen doesn't require high spec hardware.

I guess only time will tell but I'm more curious than anything. I don't see myself jumping ship to Tizen any time soon, I've invested too much time in Android but you should never say never...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman