March 28, 2024, 05:32:13 PM

collapse

Author Topic: can't transfer music from my computer to my nexus 7  (Read 4151 times)

Offline johny.blue

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
can't transfer music from my computer to my nexus 7
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:18 AM »
forgive me if this is already a post, i'm just super frustrated with this Nexus 7 and honestly at this point just need help didn't feel like searching through past post. :/

I'm trying to transfer music from my computer(pc) to my nexus via a usb cable.

i plugged it in, selected MTP, and selected "open device to view files" when promoted by my computer.

so far i've tried dragging and dropping files from itunes, windows media, and even the desktop but nothing will copy in.

add this to the fact that i have yet to find any real uses from my nexus that i can't already do on my phone (mind you i have the FIRST evo :/ ), and you can understand why im ready to chug this thing at the wall or resell it.

someone help me out?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: can't transfer music from my computer to my nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
My first suggestion, which you assumed correct that it was addressed before, would be to use Google Play music to upload your music to the cloud and selectively pin the desired music to the device.

For the manual drag and drop method, what app on the device are you using to look for the music. Does the file transfer fail from the PC? We need just a little more info...

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
I vote for Google music as well. You need to download Google music manager and it does the rest

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »
I think you should get basic usb file transfer working because of it's general utility.  Certainly the google play cloud storage and sync is one solution and you may find that the best one.  But there are many others as well and transfer by usb is also worth using for this and other reasons.

First, you did set to MTP, and got a Windows Explorer view of the directory structure on the N7, so that's all good.
Instead of drag and drop, try Control-C (copy) and Control-V (paste) into the folder \Music
There might be a confirmation message so select Yes.
Repeat as desired with additional files....make a note of any error messages if any at this point, and let us know how that worked out.

You need to select a player and tell that player where to find the music...
For Google Play (the built in player app with sucky, non-intuitive configuration process) click headphones, select Songs...On Device Only ....to hopefully see the mp3s you transferred.

- Choice 2 AirDroid maintain your file system via your desktop browser
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0.

- Choice 3 File Manager App & WiFi transfer from from shared folders on your desktop
try X-plore (dual pane), ES File Manager, or some other File Manager App

X-plore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb25lbHljYXRnYW1lcy5YcGxvcmUiXQ..

ES file manager  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lkLnBvcCJd

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
Sorry for your frustration. When you drag an mp3 to your music folder on the Nexus What is the error message? What do you mean by it won't copy? Did you try to copy and paste as suggested above? Do you use an app like Astro to see your file system on the Nexus?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »
Sorry for your frustration. When you drag an mp3 to your music folder on the Nexus What is the error message? What do you mean by it won't copy? Did you try to copy and paste as suggested above? Do you use an app like Astro to see your file system on the Nexus?

I have decided that I HATE Astro file manager because it reminds me too much of reverse polish calculators LOL

dear reader, please please try ANY other file manager so you to won't join the haters !!!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
I use Root Explorer. Just mentioned Astro as a generic cause it rings bells.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
When connected by usb to my win7 pc, I right click an album folder or marked files- send to - nexus 7. Play Music finds the files. Alternatively the Media Monkey pc program can sync to the n7, ipod, sansa fuze or other devices. I've never seen an mtp dialog. Maybe a nexus 7 driver was installed when it was first connected.

Offline Benny_H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
I have the same problem, connect n7 via usb cable and in windows explorer it shows up in the folder tree in left margin as 'nexus 7', but the right hand pane which should show you all the existing folders on the device is completely blank?
when i try to drag and drop mp3 or video files, it comes up with an error message - "cannot copy to this location, the device has stopped responding or has been disconnected"
Nexus 7 running jellybean 4.2.1 - any idea's please?

Offline johny.blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »
My first suggestion, which you assumed correct that it was addressed before, would be to use Google Play music to upload your music to the cloud and selectively pin the desired music to the device.

For the manual drag and drop method, what app on the device are you using to look for the music. Does the file transfer fail from the PC? We need just a little more info...

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

when i attempt to drag and drop the music into the the nexus 7 in my computer, it simply doesnt go in. Most times when you drag and drop things you'll get a plus sign or something when you hover or the folder you'd like to drop the file in, i get "not allowed" symbol.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »
Have you enabled USB debugging on your N7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline johny.blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

i get no error message at all :/

Offline johny.blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:34:58 PM »
so apparently debugging it kind of work, but i can't drag from itunes or windows media player...i have to put music on the desktop and then drag it to the nexus from there and it works. so kind of crappy glitch i guess? i've had no luck with this thing.

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
When connected by usb to my win7 pc, I right click an album folder or marked files- send to - nexus 7. Play Music finds the files. Alternatively the Media Monkey pc program can sync to the n7, ipod, sansa fuze or other devices. I've never seen an mtp dialog. Maybe a nexus 7 driver was installed when it was first connected.

the N7 has two usb modes by default in settings and another setting if debugging mode is enabled.

the 1st mode is Media Device (MTP)
the 2nd mode is Camera (PTP)

depending on the device, you need to set one or the other altho sometimes it seems to change because of software in some cases

my iPod mini seems to want PTP mode set to fire NMI for some reason, for instance

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »
I have the same problem, connect n7 via usb cable and in windows explorer it shows up in the folder tree in left margin as 'nexus 7', but the right hand pane which should show you all the existing folders on the device is completely blank?
when i try to drag and drop mp3 or video files, it comes up with an error message - "cannot copy to this location, the device has stopped responding or has been disconnected"
Nexus 7 running jellybean 4.2.1 - any idea's please?

benny. you should try to click the individual folder you want the files to go to on the left pane until you see \Music and then copy and paste into the folder there if you like

some folders are read only but those like \Music  \Photo  \Video etc are meant for your files.

drag and drop is nice but doesn't always work correctly even in windows itself.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman