March 28, 2024, 02:28:55 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Keyboard Question  (Read 2572 times)

Offline ufauxreal

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Keyboard Question
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
I have a question on how to set up my keyboard. Sometimes the keyboard will put capital letters automatically at the beginning of each sentence, and automatically capitalize the letter 'i' if on it's own. But right now it is all lower case and I have to hit shift to create a capital letter, even at the beginning of a sentence. How can I set up the default to automatically use capitals at the beginning of each sentence?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:38:24 AM by ufauxreal »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
Long press the space bar. Select setup input methods. Tap on the settings icon to the right of your selected keyboard. Make sure auto-capitalization box is checked.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline ufauxreal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
 Thanks for your reply. I tried long pressing the space bar, but nothing happened... i was not able to select anything. Any other suggestiond?
JB

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »
Long press the microphone, a pop-up will appear so select Android keyboard settings...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline ufauxreal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Long press the microphone, a pop-up will appear so select Android keyboard settings...

Sorry, but that didn't work either. But i did find where to edit keyboard.  in settings, it's under language. i found i had it set the way i want it,but it's just not working. Not sure why?J

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
Long pressing the microphone button on the keyboard this should appear...

Release and you should see this...

Then select Android keyboard settings. Or as loocidreemr suggested, long press the spacebar should show this...

Selecting "Set up input methods" will take you directly to the settings you found.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
What do you have set as your default keyboard? Maybe this is the issue.  Make sure that Android Keyboard is set to default under language and input settings.

Offline ufauxreal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
Thanks to both, and replying to both. Ohhh... microphone on the keyboard... duh! I was pressing the microphone on the screen. And yes, I do have Android keyboard as default. As a matter of fact, I have everything correctly checked, but it still only gives me lower case letters.
JB

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:54:14 PM »
The keyboard behaviour can be finicky...

It should always capitalise after a full stop and if you have auto-correction active it should capitalise most names but otherwise you'll need to capitalise anything else manually.

Are you using the keyboard normally or with gesture (swiping)?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Offline ufauxreal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:20:26 AM »
Yup, normally... no swyping. I know it should capitalize after a period, and automatically capitalize 'I'. It used to do that but recently it hasn't. I actually have a small manual keyboard (part of a case I purchased) which I haven't really used much. Maybe I'll try using that.

Thanks again to all for your responses. I really love my Nexus, and this is just a minor frustration.
JB

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »
You could try clearing the cache and data from the keyboard...

Settings> Apps> All> Android keyboard

Sent from my Nexus 4

Offline ufauxreal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »
once again, thanks for the help. i'm going to let this go now... it's not the biggest problem in the world, and i'll just live with it. seems like all the kids ( of which i am not :-)  do without capitals these days!

JB

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »
A post with no capitals...lol

Yup I hate reading with no punctuation or text speak, drives me nuts...

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »
That's a good point. I really can't stand it when someone who is supposed to be more mature than I uses poor grammar and text lingo when they have full function keyboards.

My mom just got a Nexus and sent me a Google+ message "it was gr8 2 c u" flipping drove me bonkers! If you too lazy to type, swipe, or gesture, at least use voice input.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

Re: Re: Keyboard Question
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
That's a good point. I really can't stand it when someone who is supposed to be more mature than I uses poor grammar and text lingo when they have full function keyboards.

My mom just got a Nexus and sent me a Google+ message "it was gr8 2 c u" flipping drove me bonkers! If you too lazy to type, swipe, or gesture, at least use voice input.

Couldn't agree with you more mate..... that did make me laugh though, your Mum of all people... :D What is the world coming to... :-\

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts