March 28, 2024, 06:53:30 PM

collapse

Author Topic: advice re storage capacity  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Paul_TT

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
advice re storage capacity
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »
Hi
I have loaded only 16 CD's onto my nexus but it is showing 20GB use for Audio ( music ringtones podcasts )etc Well I dont have any ringtones or podcasts so have I dont something wrong as surely 1CD's wont take that capacity -

Is there somewhere I can look to see what MB/GB is applying to each CD or should I take the lot off and start again

Many thanks

Paul

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
Re: advice re storage capacity
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
Hi
I have loaded only 16 CD's onto my nexus but it is showing 20GB use for Audio ( music ringtones podcasts )etc Well I dont have any ringtones or podcasts so have I dont something wrong as surely 1CD's wont take that capacity -

Is there somewhere I can look to see what MB/GB is applying to each CD or should I take the lot off and start again

When you say CD, it is unclear if you have converted the raw sound files on cd to MP3, FLAC, or nothing.  This means we have no way of knowing how big the sound files are (and I am assuming you are talking about music too and not even bigger DVD movies).  A raw music CD (not DVD) without encoder conversion can use up to 700+ MB for extended play, and dvd format music can hold 3 to 5+ GB each, so YES, 16 "cds" could use the better part of 20 GB...

At any rate, sounds like you need to convert your sound files into more compact types.  You may need a good ripper w encoding into a more efficient format.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-ripper.htm

You also may need to consider using Google Drive or other cloud storage, or local storage with "usb pendrives"  using an OTG adapter and Nexus Media Importer or Stickmount.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:49:04 AM by Bigtroutz »

Offline Paul_TT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »
Many thanks - now understand . Have deleted some of the files and freed up loads of space !!!

Yes was just ripping as MP3 onto Nexus. Will look into the compressing option you suggest. Thanks again Paul

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »
Paul I don't know if you know Mich about the Google music but it is one of my favorite things about android. You install Google music manger from Google's website. It then asks what folders you want to upload and you just have to click your music folder and it uploads all your music and will then be accessible to your device.

After that first time it will only upload new files when you open the music manger. It can also download any songs that you buy from Google play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
Another Google Music advocate here, it the dogs danglies...

It streams music to your device over a data connection or if you want to listen to music offline when you have no data connection available then you can temporarily pin the music beforehand when you do have data.

Not everybody's cup of tea but there are a few of us here that swear by it, especially when you have limited storage...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
And I'm another advocate for Google Play Music....

I assume you all heard that Amazon is giving back digital copies of every CD purchased from them since 1998 (15 years!) as long as they have the license to do so for any particular album.

I haven't purchased many CDs from them since '98 -- about 30 total, but they've already added about 15 of those albums to my Amazon Cloud Player. I've downloaded those all to my desktop, and then Google's Music Player automatically uploaded them to my Google Music account. As long as Google Music knows which folder to look in (you set this up yourself), it will automatically upload any new music it finds. It was sweet how slick it all worked.

So now I have those 15 albums (and Amazon says there are more to come, they just have to work out the kinks) on Google's cloud to play on my N7 whenever I want.

Cheers,
- martyh

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »
Another vote for Google Music.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Here's my +1 to Google play music. 

For those that are concerned, I've heard that Google will remove uploaded tracks that are not obtained through conventional methods, and this is the extent of their meddling in the matter.  Without admitting to anything of the sort... I um... have yet to see any of my uploaded music come up missing.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Paul_TT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
As usual excellent help thanks. I listen to music on my daily train comute so not in wi fi range. What I wanted was to find a way of holding say 10 cd's that I can change depending on my mod om my pc to my nexus. The external drive sounds good but I was wanting to try and keep something within my Nexuz if that makes sense

Paul

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: advice re storage capacity
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
As usual excellent help thanks. I listen to music on my daily train comute so not in wi fi range. What I wanted was to find a way of holding say 10 cd's that I can change depending on my mod om my pc to my nexus. The external drive sounds good but I was wanting to try and keep something within my Nexuz if that makes sense

Paul

Google Music is perfect for that! After you upload all of your albums to the cloud they show up on your tablet. You can then stream the music (I never do) or you can select to store certain music on board. It can be certain playlists, an entire artist collection or even just a couple albums.

Its exactly what you want.

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
Yup, agreed. Play Music sounds idea for your application, just pin some music before go. It's far less hassle than connecting to your PC to add or remove music for your commuting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts