March 29, 2024, 05:44:29 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Charging the N7's battery -- To ensure you're getting full life of its battery  (Read 3913 times)

Zell

I'm hearing the N7's battery is about 40 percent charged when it arrives.

What is the rule when to recharge a new device's battery -- to ensure you're getting the full benefit of the battery's capacity to hold a charge for a long time -- and to preserve the battery's life over time? 

Not too long ago, with older lithium batteries, it was recommended that you should drain a device's battery before recharging it to ensure longer battery life (at least for the first several recharges).  Now I've heard that with today's device batteries it's best to recharge them (at least for the first several recharges) when the battery is about 1/3 to 1/4 depleted.

Obviously all of us want to make sure our new N7's battery is giving us every little drop of juice that its capacity holds to give us long battery life after each charge.

Zell

So the question is, when I go home today and open up my N7, should I charge it first or does it matter?

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter.

Zell

It doesn't matter.

Why is that?  Just so I know.

Zell

Guess I need to search harder before posting a thread on a topic:

http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=200.0

Offline dubdub

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Lithium batteries do not need to be discharged and then recharged.  That will actually do more harm than good.  I have found you get better battery performance by keeping the device topped up when close to a power supply.  Also, letting a lithium battery get below 20% on a regular basis can damage the battery.

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
SO - can we leave it on the charger over night?

Zell

SO - can we leave it on the charger over night?

I'd like to know that, too.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
All modern lithium batteries and chargers have circuitry which stops charging when the battery reaches a charged state. I have charged both of my tablets overnight since day one without any noticeable effect on either of them and I plan to charge my N7 overnight as well.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
All modern lithium batteries and chargers have circuitry which stops charging when the battery reaches a charged state. I have charged both of my tablets overnight since day one without any noticeable effect on either of them and I plan to charge my N7 overnight as well.

good to hear, thanks. i haven't been using the nexus all that much to be honest, so i actually turn mine off for most of the day - from when I sleep at night until when I get home from work my nexus is off, don't see a point to leaving it running

Zell

Thanks as well.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts