March 28, 2024, 12:54:25 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Logging off AOL  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Kjaerlighet

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Logging off AOL
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm a new owner of the N7.  Have been playing around with it for a couple of days and am very impressed, but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to and I am hoping someone can help me.

I have set up my AOL account of the Device but I can't find a way of logging off from AOL and it seems to be online all the time.  This worries me because in these days of having to be very particular about our online security, if I lost my Device the finder would have access to all my emails and other details.

Is there a way to do this?

I set up the account from Settings/Add Account, if this helps.

Thanks so much in advance.

Offline Kjaerlighet

• View Profile
Re: Logging off AOL
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
Hi,

I am still trying to find a solution to this problem written below.  I've looked all over the web without success. Can anyone help, please?

Hi,

I'm a new owner of the N7.  Have been playing around with it for a couple of days and am very impressed, but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to and I am hoping someone can help me.

I have set up my AOL account of the Device but I can't find a way of logging off from AOL and it seems to be online all the time.  This worries me because in these days of having to be very particular about our online security, if I lost my Device the finder would have access to all my emails and other details.

Is there a way to do this?

I set up the account from Settings/Add Account, if this helps.

Thanks so much in advance.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I don't have AOL so I'm not to sure about how to go about logging off. As with your Google account, you simply cannot. I would suggest setting up a password or pin lock on the device itself if you are worried about security upon losing your device. Go to the right pulldown > settings > security > lock screen.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Kjaerlighet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »
Thanks for this.  I have already set up a password but am not sure how secure it is so I'll keep looking.

:-)

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
Its quite secure in your application. I don't think that logging off the AOL would be any more secure than the password. If someone found your lost device, they would have to go through a lot of trouble to access your data. If they have the ability and skills to do that, then most likely they are not interested in your data.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Rusty

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »
Hi Kjaerlighet,

I did not use settings/add account to log into my aol account, just went into aol.com and logged into it from there.  And it keeps me logged in to aol but not aol mail, I have to hit the sign in button for mail.  There is a sign-out button at top right whenever I go to aol site.

Offline Kjaerlighet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
Thanks Rusty.

I've done just what you did...logged on from aol.com and was able to sign out as usual.

K

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Thanks Rusty. Thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
As loocidreemr posted I use the stock email client and stay logged into my four email accounts, five if you include Gmail.

To have a Google account and be able to install applications to your Nexus 7 you need a Gmail account, you can't sign out of Gmail account and you need a credit or debit card to purchase apps. Thus it needs to be secure and yes since Android 4.2 and multiuser accounts you more have to enter your Gmail account password to complete purchases on Google Play but that's not true for an Android phones therefore phone and tablet security has to be reasonably tight.

I would recommend anybody with a credit card and email accounts to enable security on their device, you can choose between face unlock, pattern, PIN and password and these are more secure in that order.
Face unlock is novel but not very secure, somebody that looks like you could be able to unlock your device. Pattern is also not very secure in that your finger leaves a grease mark on the screen and the pattern can be traced in the right light.

Personally I would recommend either PIN or even more secure would be a password lock.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:12:24 PM by JayJ »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
That is great advice Jayj. I keep my Nexus running naked with no security or screen lock. I really need to reconsider. It would be crushing if in the wrong hands. Anybody want to help create an app that is like a self destruct button?  ;D

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
AOL still exists? What possible function does it serve now?

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
???

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
Was that  a facetious question?  I believe it's an  ISP for people that are comfortable with it.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts