March 29, 2024, 06:06:11 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Report: 2nd Generation Nexus 7 To Arrive In May: Full HD Display/Thin Bezel/JB  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

With February just around the corner, Google's May 'Google I/O' annual gathering is only a little over 3 months away and if a report from 'Digitimes' is accurate Google has tapped Asus to make the 2nd generation Nexus 7 Tablet that will be shown at the company's showcase event.  According to the report Asus and Google plan on upgrading the Nexus 7 to include a 'Full HD' 1920 x 1080 display as well as a new industrial design for the tablet featuring a thinner bezel. 

Also reported is that the new Nexus 7 will come loaded Android 'Jelly Bean' and despite these upgrades the price will remain the same with $199 and $249 price points for the wi-fi models. While not mentioned in the report we also fully expect to also see included the new Tegra 4 processor which features an astounding 72 graphic cores and new quad core A15 cpu that was shown during CES. 

The report goes on to say that as of the end of January 2013, Google and Asus have sold a total of 6 million Nexus 7 tablets since its introduction with the $249 model being the best selling.  The companies also plan on selling another 10 million units combined of the 1st and 2nd generation Nexus 7 tablets in 2013. If this goal is reached, by the end of 2013 we should see somewhere between 15-16 million Nexus 7s in the wild which should account for a nice percentage of Android tablets. 

Now we should mention that Digitimes has an uneven track record of reporting future products.  They do seem to hit some on the head but other times they miss the mark.  Still, the details and specs mentioned in this report seem realistic and even probable when taken in context that we know Google is making the Nexus tablets a priority to compete with Apple's iPad and iPad Mini and to elevate the Android tablet world to legitimate leading status.  So what do you think folks?  Will you upgrade to a 2nd generation Nexus 7 with the specs listed above?  Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Digitimes

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Sounds intriguing.  I would definitely upgrade if it had HDMI out and a microSD card slot.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
I dunno, they may announce one to come out at the end of the year. Maybe sooner I'm not sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JayJ

There's chat on the net that LG will be making the 2nd generation N7 and it'll be a 7.7" tab along with the new Nexus 5 phone, here's some of the rumoured specs.

Nvidia Tegra 4
1080p display with smaller bezel
Front and rear HD camera
8 & 16GB variants

but it's all speculation...

It most certainly won't come with an SD Card slot!

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:28:15 AM by JayJ »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
The LG rumor was denied by LG a couple of weeks ago.  I tend to believe Asus will continue as the Nexus 7 maker for the 2nd generation.  Makes much more sense since the 1st generation has been a success.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

I'd like to see Asus make the 2nd gen N7, not to bothered who does though and to be honest I'm unlikely to upgrade because my 32GB N7 isn't very old and should last a while longer...

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
My N7 is working just fine for what I need it to do.  Over the years, not wanting the latest, greatest technology has saved me a lot of money.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
It would be nice if it had a 64 and 128gig option, memory is cheap

JayJ

What the hell would you store on a device with 128GB of storage??

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
That's not a tablet. It's a space station.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
My N7 is working just fine for what I need it to do.  Over the years, not wanting the latest, greatest technology has saved me a lot of money.

But I want the latest and greatest :( stupid technology moving so stupidly fast (jk can't wait for moon colonies) guess I just have to make more money to throw at Google

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
I'm with Sarge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline ibm650

• View Profile
What the hell would you store on a device with 128GB of storage??

Movies, and music, this would make it a complete entertainment center for me.

JayJ

I have plenty of storage on my 32GB N7, you can't watch lots movies at the same time so I put them on my N7, watch them and delete them... It's called file management...

But hey, each to their own...

Offline ibm650

• View Profile
I have plenty of storage on my 32GB N7, you can't watch lots movies at the same time so I put them on my N7, watch them and delete them... It's called file management...

But hey, each to their own...

I like to keep a collection of
Musicals
My Fair Lady, Brigadoon, Hello Dolly, South Pacific, Guys and Dolls, Chicago, etc
Classics
The African Queen, Sabrina etc
Sci Fi
Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth
Adventure
Indiana Jones Series, Die Hard Series, Transformers,

Depending on my mood
and Music

Quickly adds up

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters