March 29, 2024, 12:18:41 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Streaming AVI files to Nexus 7. MKV opens, AVI doesn't! Any ideas?  (Read 3816 times)

Offline marco772

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a load of videos stored on my Laptop and would like to be able to stream them to the Nexus 7. I downloaded Mediahouse for the Nexus 7 which picks them all up perfectly. The problem I'm having is actually getting them to play on the tablet!
I've installed all the usual suspect media players (VLC, BSPlayer, DICE, MXPlayer, ES Media Player) but mostly to the same result.
Any MKV files I have open up and play fine in both MXPlayer and BSPlayer.

The AVI files (of which are the majority) just won't open. The only exception is the ES Media Player which will play them but won't allow me to fast forward or rewind. Not ideal, then!

To be clear, the few AVI files I have stored ON the Nexus 7 itself will open and play fine in all the players. It's just when it comes to streaming them. They all look like they're trying to open them but nothing ever actually opens.

I've tried changing the decoder on MXPLayer from HW to SW but it made no difference. I'm sure there must be a simple solution but I have run out of ideas now!

Can anyone fix this for me?

Thanks
Mark

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming AVI files to Nexus 7. MKV opens, AVI doesn't! Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
Sounds like an issue with Mediahouse. Have you tried any of the comparable apps that are around?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »
One thing to check aside from the app you are streaming with is if the AVI files contain the index.

Like MKV, AVI is a container format and almost anything can be inside but one of the things needed for moving the play pointer (and proper playback) is the index file.  You can see if that index is present at a glance in the Windows Explorer "details view" Length column (eg 01:55:31 = index present)

No index, equals no fast forward or rewind or play from clicked point

I don't quite understand why you are still trying to stream the AVI files rather than just copying them to be later played on the N7 but whatever..

You also might try a more powerful media server - client setup like XBMC or Plex

Offline marco772

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »
Hi,

Thank you both for the replies. I've just tried using Mediaserver but run into exactly the same problem. ES Media Player and the stock app will both open the AVI files but with no sound or the ability to ff or rewind (I don't believe this is an issue with the files as I can ff and rewind them on the laptop and if I'm streaming them to my PS3).

I tried something called Pixel DMS but it wants my IP address (which I know) and a port number(which I don't) and a server login (which I don't know either). I really wanted one I could just install and use which both Mediahouse and Mediaserver would be if only they played the AVI's!

I could copy them into the N7 (and have in the past and the AVI's work fine) but I like the idea of just being able to choose from my "Laptop Library" and streaming at will without the hassle of connecting it all up or downloading across the network.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the PS3 Media Server software to access the laptop with? I don't really understand it all, but obviously there are other ways to share so I will look into that.

But still, it just seems like it SHOULD work and tries to but just won't! It's very frustrating... /:

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:48:47 AM »
I just set my laptop video folder to share with everyone. Using es file explorer-lan-+ to scan for the shared folders, then long press a file-open as-video your player.

Alternatively, bsplayer will network share natively.

Make sure you've got good wifi signal strength, router to the laptop and the tablet. Try moving the computer near the router. Or hardwire an ethernet cat6 cable to it. I've had some problems with 1080p video when the signal isn't great. Stuttering, no audio etc.

There's also gmote, which can remote control an htpc with virtual mouse and keyboard, but also can stream content.

Offline marco772

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »
Hi Matt, Thanks for the reply but it's not a connection issue as it plays the MKV files instantly and flawlessly and some of those are huge! It also recognises all the files (most, AVI and MKV all share the same folder) so it's not a network issue.
It just simply won't open the AVI files. It just endlessly shows "Opening file" on the playback screen. :(

Offline marco772

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
Aha! Have had a breakthrough of sorts! it seems that the PS3 Media Player could be the root of the problem. I tried doing the same thing using WMP (on Windows7) and the AVI files suddenly work fine. Now I just have to figure out how to tell WMP which folders I want it to show on the Nexus and I'll be golden.
Maybe another day for that, I think I'm a bit fried for now... :)

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman