March 29, 2024, 08:49:00 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Are there any workarounds for the "your device is incompatible" message?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline levolent

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
I'm trying to install my bank's mobile app but it says unsupported device. This is obviously bull since android is android is android. Works just fine on my piece of crap android phone running 2.2

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any workarounds for the "your device is incompatible" message?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
you can give it a try thru a process called sideloading.

1) download the .apk file to your n7
2) click settings > security > make sure that 'unknown sources' checkmark is present (allowed) & uncheck Verify Apps if that is needed
3) click the .apk file (in a file manager will work if i recall) to install it  & configure your app
4) go back and reverse changes made to settings if you like (a good idea)

done

Offline NordieBoy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
I had the same issue. I used titanium backup to save it on my phone and mailed myself the apk file.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
If your device is rooted, you can edit /system/build.prop to indicate your device is the same as your phone.  But in reality, you need to realize Android is not Android is not Android.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »
@BigRoutz do you know how to root a Huawei M920 ? (metro pcs android shitphone that cost me more than my n7)

@bird I'm curious about your age. I've only seen teenagers and low 20s in Scions... but you have been retired for 8 years? I'm impressed, what did you do?

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
Bird is right, there are many reasons why apps will not work on multiple devices.
Some are not optimised for Jelly Bean or it could be a screen resolution issue, there could be any number of things that stop it working.
As mentioned above, you could sideload the apk but only if you get it from a trusted source and not from trawling the net.

If you want to find out how to root a device, check for that device on XDA Developers.

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:46:55 AM by JayJ »

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »
I'm trying to find the apk on my phone but can't find it... found a folder with a ton of apks in it but its not there. App is BBVA Compass.

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »
What OS is your phone running? It could be a protected app in which case you won't find the apk so won't be able to sideload it...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:28 AM »
What OS is your phone running? It could be a protected app in which case you won't find the apk so won't be able to sideload it...

2.2 so how am i going to get banking on my n7?

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
You might not be able to...

Or you could contract the developer to ask why it isn't compatible with your N7 or Jelly Bean and whether they can make it compatible or send you the apk to test on your Nexus 7.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
levolent,

Some apps install below the sdcard level, so you    won't find them if you're not  rooted.  You can use a file explorer to search for your bank's app on your phone.

I retired at age 60 from the FDA.  First generation Scion xBs are amazingly roomy vehicles.  Mine has more front headroom and legroom than most full-size cars, and more rear headroom and legroom than virtually all other  cars, while being a foot shorter than compacts like the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.  Driven well, they're capable of impressive fuel economy, too.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Techguru

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:21:32 PM »
I have found that a lot of apps that use the rear facing camera (and a lot of banking apps do now for depositing checks by photographing them) will say they are not compatible with the Nexus 7.

Sideloading does usually work if you can get the APK.  If you have an Android phone that is compatible, download with it, then use Astro to back up the app (under the tools menu of Astro).  No need to be rooted for that.  Then copy the APK to your Nexus 7 from backup directory that Astro makes and follow the sideloading instructions in the first reply above.

Alan

Offline NordieBoy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile

Titanium Backup or Astro will back an app up as an apk that can be installed on another device.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
I have found that a lot of apps that use the rear facing camera (and a lot of banking apps do now for depositing checks by photographing them) will say they are not compatible with the Nexus 7.

Sideloading does usually work if you can get the APK.  If you have an Android phone that is compatible, download with it, then use Astro to back up the app (under the tools menu of Astro).  No need to be rooted for that.  Then copy the APK to your Nexus 7 from backup directory that Astro makes and follow the sideloading instructions in the first reply above.

Alan

I was using it as a file browser trying to find the apk manually. I'll try the tools menu hopefully you are right. I don't expect a reply to my email. It doesn't even go to a dev, it's just general support for the banking app.

JayJ

I don't expect a reply to my email. It doesn't even go to a dev, it's just general support for the banking app.

Unfortunately the way it is with big corporations but worth a shot in the dark...

Hopefully you'll have more success with Astro File Manager app backup...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts