March 28, 2024, 04:11:33 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Caching not working  (Read 5660 times)

Offline levolent

• Popularity: -2
    • View Profile
Caching not working
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:35 PM »
I've tried the stock Chrome, and Dolphin browser but same problem in each. If I switch to doing something else and come back, all of my tabs have to be reloaded and it takes quite a while. Even using the back button when out of range of Wi-Fi refuses to load the page from cache...

On a related note, what is the fastest browser? I've heard Opera is but it wasn't any faster than the others in my testing. It is pretty sad that a Wi-Fi of 2MB/s and 1.3ghz quadcore has such a slow time loading webpages.... That is probably the root of the issue honestly, if it wasn't so slow in the first place I wouldn't care about the lack of caching.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Caching not working
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »
Uc browser seems pretty fast. I have 5mbs d/l .  That's megabit(mb) not megabyte(MB) actually baud because of added error correction. Not instantaeous but ok. Haven't tried lightning browser yet, just need to get used to whatever I pick.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
Uc browser seems pretty fast. I have 5mbs d/l .  That's megabit(mb) not megabyte(MB) actually baud because of added error correction. Not instantaeous but ok. Haven't tried lightning browser yet, just need to get used to whatever I pick.

Thanks I will try UC and Lightning. I'm in Keller btw.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Well, howdy to yer post!  There's not a lot of good choices for isp in our area. I'm on the uverse elite plan, but the promo deal just ran out. Cable, meh. 3g-4g needs line of sight to antenna, then they throttle. 2mbs is a bit slow, 5 adequate for streaming video, I'd like 12. Don't know why at&t bothered to run fiber optic to my house anyway.

Another option to speed up page loads would be an ad blocker.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
No complaints on isp here. Verizon fios, 50mb down, 25 up. 5ms ping to both Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm surprised they haven't throttled me yet. Last month I uploaded over 300 hours of 1080p video at twitch.Tv/levolent

What 3g/4g have you tried? I hear Verizon has the best network for data too. I believe it's like $100 and up though so out of my budget but I've been thinking of getting a Clear 4g hotspot for $40/month.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
Had a neighbor who tried 3g with a dongle for the computer. No line of sight to a tower. Worked a bit for a while, then they throttled his bandwidth. Netzero has a portable 4g hotspot, I'd like to try. Need more info.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
Oh wow if that still comes with a year of free service that is totally worth it. Would be like $380 savings over Clear for a year. http://www.laptopmag.com/review/wi-fi/netzero-4g-hotspot.aspx

What I really need to do is finally break down and root/tether my 4g Huawei M920 but the 10 step guide is sketchy as heck and I'm lazy.... I guess when it comes down to me actually plunking down a Benjamin on that Netzero thing I'll give it a go first.

BTW if your net is really that bad consider getting 2 or 3 lines. It's pretty easy to bridge them together in Windows.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:37:22 PM by levolent »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
I have Clear. $59 a month unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
I think they just made it illegal to root phones. Thems with the money writes the laws. It's grandfathered, so if you do root say ya did it before 2/1/13. I think they don't want their subsidized phones switched to another provider.
The netzero is too limited for me, I use easily 2GB a week. Guess I'll keep uverse awhile, 45$ a month 250GB cap.
Don't trust the unlimited mobile plans, they throttle the speed back after a certain amount of data. Always give the customer something to complain about, chance to upsell. "Oh, you want unlimited AND fastest speed, that's our super duper really unlimited plan pro."

So try speedtest, and see if you get what was promised.

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
It's not rooting, bootloader unlocking or any other type of jailbreaking that's illegal. It's SIM unlocking that's been made illegal...

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/thank-you-ctia-for-setting-the-us-cell-phone-market-back-10-years/

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
You're right, I was about to edit my mistake, now stet. Although rooting to enable tethering might be iffy if the provider offers a tethering plan.

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:10 PM »
Although I'm non US, from what I've read rooting to enable Wi-Fi tethering has always been iffy...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »
Puffin browser is fast and has Flash built in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
I'll have to try puffin, thx. Trying to load clbattery.com -needs flash.

Offline levolent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:05:54 PM »
Tried Puffin and its better than stock or dolphin but the flash video isnt the best quality and smoothness. Plus the flash being only a 2 week trial is a big turnoff for me.

Been using Sleipnir and I love it so far! Apparently the Japanese have been using it for years.

Caching still not so great especially when using back button.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:52:34 PM by levolent »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts