March 28, 2024, 02:39:30 PM

collapse

Author Topic: What processor should be in the 2nd generation Nexus 7?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
What processor should be in the 2nd generation Nexus 7?
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:51 AM »
As we all know one of the big selling points of the Nexus 7 when it came out was that it had a Tegra 3 quad core processor included at the low price of $199.  With rumors starting of the 2nd generation Nexus 7 undergoing development I thought it would be interesting to discuss if forum members thought Google should stick with the Nvidia Tegra line of processors and put a Tegra 4 in the new Nexus 7 or should they switch to a different processor architecture altogether and go with something like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 or another make altogether.  Let's hear your thoughts and all those with detailed knowledge of the competing chips, we'd love to hear your thoughts as to which is better.

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

Re: What processor should be in the 2nd generation Nexus 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:30:22 AM »
If I was to upgrade to a 2nd gen Nexus 7 I'd want Tegra 4, I've bought Tegra specific apps like Zombie Driver and Samurai 2 which I bought because I had a Tegra running device.

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
Qualcomm all the way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »
While I love the Snapdragon S4 Pro in my Nexus 4 I think the Tegra is more a gaming processor and that's what I use my N7 for, gaming and multimedia.

There's even rumours that the Nexus 5 will be running a Tegra 4... only rumours mind...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »
I don't believe there will be a phone called the 'Nexus 5' unless they decide to make a larger screen phone with a 5+ inch display.  I believe the 'Nexus 4' name is in reference to the screen size and it will be their standard naming convention from now on.  We'll most likely see a 2nd generation nexus 4.  If they do make a 'Nexus 5' it is more likely to be a 'Galaxy Note' type large screen device.  Don't really see that happening though.

I say this because as you know the Nexus 7 is called '7' because it has a 7.x display and the Nexus 10 is called '10' because it has a 10.x display.  Same goes for the Nexus 4.  I've seen the term 'Nexus 5' bandied about also online to reference the '5th generation' Nexus phone but I don't think they would call it that as it would break with the naming convention they have just established.  See my point?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:50:21 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
The Nexus 4 gets its name because its the fourth generation Nexus phone...

1st> HTC Nexus One
2nd> Samsung Nexus S
3rd> Samsung Galaxy Nexus
4th> LG Nexus 4

Sure I see your point and it may not be actually called the Nexus 5 but people will call it that until it's officially named...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:53:08 PM by JayJ »

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
Re: Re: What processor should be in the 2nd generation Nexus 7?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »

1st> HTC Nexus One
2nd> Samsung Nexus S
4th> LG Nexus 4

Sure I see your point and it may not be actually called the Nexus 5 but people will call it that until it's officially named...

... Motorola X phone.... Lol pending the specs I'll probably dump my new N4 for that one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
The Motorola "X" sounds interesting but if the rumours that it'll be carrier updated are true I'll wait for the next true Nexus...

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
We will see. It may very well turn into the next nexus for all we know

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

1st> HTC Nexus One
2nd> Samsung Nexus S
4th> LG Nexus 4

I actually disagree that it gets its name because it is the 4th generation phone.  It wouldn't make sense that Google would use screen size as the naming convention for the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets and then choose to change their naming convention just for the phone.  If this was the case then in three more generations the Nexus phone would be called the 'Nexus 7' phone...which makes no sense since the Nexus 7 is a tablet.  I stand by what I said before.  The '4' in Nexus 4 stands for the screen size being 4.x inches.   Also notice that the 2nd and 3rd generation Nexus phones were NOT called the Nexus 2 and Nexus 3.  Google decided sometime earlier this year that it should have a consistent naming convention referencing the screen size in their device names.

4.x inch screen --->   Nexus 4
7.x inch screen --->   Nexus 7
10.x inch screen ---> Nexus 10

I guess we'll see for sure when the next Nexus phone comes out later this year but I'm 99% sure I'm right. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:41:08 PM by Babyfacemagee »

JayJ

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
Yeah I see your logic, damn coincidence that the Nexus 4 is the fourth generation though.

Maybe the Motorola X will be the next Nexus, as it is the name is obviously a codename...

Nexus X...Nexus Moto...Nexus Blur...Nexus Razor...

I wouldn't mind a Motorola as the fifth gen Nexus phone but then I wouldn't mind it being LG, Sony or any other OEM...

Also, I could see Google doing a Nexus 5, as in 5" because phones are getting bigger and from a 4.7" to a 5" is a big leap.

Back on topic, an Nvidia Tegra 4 in the 2nd gen Nexus 7 and Snapdragon in the 5th gen Nexus phone...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:01:17 PM by JayJ »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »

Also, I could see Google doing a Nexus 5, as in 5" because phones are getting bigger and from a 4.7" to a 5" is a big leap.

Yes, actually I also think there's a chance there could be a 'Nexus 5' phone with a 5.x screen.  I've actually already bought the domain nexus5forum.com just in case. ;)   I tend to think however that they'll stick with just the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 as their Nexus devices for the foreseeable future and not make a 5 or other size phones.  Here's my logic in thinking that...

The Nexus 4, 7 and 10 are really designed to be just 'showcase' devices for Google's operating system software in each of the major format sizes...a phone, a small tablet and a large tablet.  I think one phone is enough to show off each new iteration of their OS and there wouldn't be enough difference in the OS's appearance and use between a 4 and 5 inch phone for Google to warrant making a separate device for that in my opinion.  I believe the intent of Google making its devices is to have one product to show off its software in each major size format.  Again...a phone, a small tablet and a large tablet. 

This is why I don't think we'll see an '8.9' inch nexus tablet or a '12' inch nexus tablet' or a 3.5 inch nexus phone or a 5.5 inch nexus phone.   I think they'll leave all these other random sizes to other manufacturers to go to town with so they can differentiate their products.  Again, I think for the next several years we'll see the Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 as the 3 supported Nexus devices and we'll get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th etc...generations of each of these.  The only major 'spec' difference in future generations besides obviously new processors...is in the screen resolution.  I believe we'll see 1920 x 1080 screens become the norm in both phones and 7 inch tablets within the next year but the 'size' of the devices will remain the same.

'

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman