March 28, 2024, 11:07:49 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Streaming NFL playoffs  (Read 3209 times)

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Streaming NFL playoffs
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
A couple weeks ago, I was stuck at work sitting on my thumbs during the NFL playoffs.  There were conditions not under our control that caused us to spend a lot of time just waiting around.  My employees asked if I could watch the playoff games somehow on my Nexus.

These are my initial findings on this subject. 
Code: [Select]
January 8thFirst of all, there is absolutely no way to view anything NFL unless someone is paying for it.  There are apps that allow you to view the NFL games if you purchase a package through your television provider.  There are other websites that charge a fee for streaming.  There are others that use a slingbox or HTPC and stream the content, then share that stream.  This is the way to go.

I found a website that hosts these streaming links.  There are two types of applications for this: torrent streaming, and flash streaming. The flash streaming does not last very long.  Every time I would get the stream running, the plugin or the browser would crash within minutes and wouldn’t restart even after clearing the cache.   I tried with Dolphin and with Firefox to no avail.  The torrent streaming requires additional software.  Most of the software is not compatible for mobile platforms.  I did find some beta software that actually worked… temporarily… 

I was able to use my Razr Maxx to provide a hotspot.  On 4GLTE, the speed is plenty sufficient.  The site Wiziwig hosts many sports streams. From here you are able to que the desired stream.  Some of the streams are fairly low quality and I wouldn’t dignify them by being viewed on my device.  Some streams are HD quality. 

I used Sopcast Beta v0.9 to stream the feed.  Worked very well for a few minutes, then it would stop streaming.  I had to reconnect to the source to continue the stream.  This might have something to do with my mobile hotspot or the dynamic ip.

I plan on using my own HTPC in the future.  I have a HVR-2250 in my PC capable of 1080i.  I just found out that Hauppauge has their own software for the streaming too. 

Later that day, Jan 8th
So I just found out that the mobile software for the tuner card I have is only available on devices with fruity flavors.  A little tiffed at that one…  I’ll have to come up with something else.

January 19th
So I have my own solution set up and ready for tomorrow!   I used my HVR-2250 and ran a digital cable signal to it.  This tuner card has no problems decoding the local digital broadcasts.  I did have to manually configure my tuner for the correct signal though.  As it turns out, I had everything I needed already at my fingertips.  The software needed was already installed as part of the package that came with the card.  I used my gateway router to port forward the tuner hardware.  Coupled with the software, I log into the web server and access all of my channels that are fed through my tuner card.  I can access the web server with any device that supports flash.  Now of course Android 4.2.1 doesn’t officially support Flash.  The server uses an embedded player called Flowplayer that’s based on Flash and work’s great with Firefox! The web UI is awesome.  I can even select my desired resolution up to 1080i and toggle fullscreen mode.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:29:34 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming NFL playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »

Glad to see this back.. sorry again bro.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
Next step, wake on lan. Or don't let your puter sleep. Congrajubilations!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
Loocid... had your setup working like a charm. Beautiful stream in what looked like HD. Now, I just need to learn to speAK Russian. The announcers were hilarious.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »

All I have to do is toggle full screen from here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
How do you find the Sopcast feeds? Do you use the wizwig site and then paste the url into the Sopcast app? I have a hard time  navigating the app looking for specific games.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
I have just been searching and then cutting and paste in the SC app.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
How much upload mbs does your isp give you to get 1080p from your htpc? Thinking of tunneling into mine for music, vids, and camera. Thx.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
I'm paying for 12 up and 2 down. On any given day I easily get double that on actual speed tests. 2 to 4 mb/s is sufficient for streaming 1080 as h.264. My hardware uses mpeg2 by default, which renders faster, but typically requires twice the bandwidth. I can choose to stream the mpeg2 directly or feed it back through my graphics card for a second pass and drop it to h.264. 

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:26:47 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »
I get a sopcast error everytime my Nexus reboots. Is that normal?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »
It was typical for me as well.. its still beta software. I ended up uninstalling it.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (PNuT.BuTTa.JB.v1.0.4a-R3Ds themed URBaN.v1.1) via Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman