March 28, 2024, 02:12:08 PM

collapse

Author Topic: In-car Navigation  (Read 6053 times)

Offline thesaint

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
In-car Navigation
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
On my old Nokia smartphone (5800) I can select and follow a route, with voice guidance, to almost anywhere in the world WITHOUT  being on-line at any stage.  (All Free - using GPS only)
On my N7 I cannot set a route unless I am on-line.  This can be inconvenient when the  start of a new journey is out of range of either wifi or a cellphone signal.
So, why can't the N7 do it Offline?
I have installed some Google Maps for Offline use and installed "Mapquest" (generally very good - and free) but both these sat/nav systems still need to be on-line whilst the route is calculated.
I know you can get round this apparent shortcoming of the N7 by carrying round a MIFI - (if in cellphone range) but it should not be necessary. 

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: In-car Navigation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »
You can save a map of your area in Google maps for offline use but I believe  turn by turn Nav needs an internet connection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:14 PM »
it depends on where the processing of the gps info occurs.  the built in nav does the calculations in the cloud but there are several other nav apps that do the processing on the local device and these apps only require that you download the maps in the area where your gps signal will be.

According to the info i have read, NavFree, Sygic, CoPilot and others all will allow you to download maps and run without a WiFi or other live connection.  A bit more work on your part and you can use your N7 as you would a Garmin.

Offline thesaint

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »
Hello "BJS229"
No, I do not think you need to be on-line to get turn by turn navigation on "Google Maps" nor indeed any other SatNav system.  It is almost impossible to expect to have a wifi connection all the tme whilst driving.  Yes, you could use the cellphone signal, but that would be costly.
Hello "BIGTROUTZ"
Yes, but at least some of the apps you mention are payable.  I never paid for the Nokia aps.

Offline maxnicks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
Does anybody here use CoPilot on a regular basis? I've really only used it on my Galaxy Nexus and while driving, couldn't pay attention to when the phone was offline and when it wasn't. I have it loaded on my N7 but have yet to try it out. Specifically, how is the functionality when offline? How's the turn by turn work? Is the accuracy decent? Luckily I was able to buy a 32 Gig version so SD space for maps won't kill me.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »
I was referring to Google Navigation. Google maps allows you to program in a map of your area for offline use. I beleive The OP is asking for more of a Garmin like experience. Google Maps doesn't provide that.

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:08:11 AM »
Hello "BJS229"
No, I do not think you need to be on-line to get turn by turn navigation on "Google Maps" nor indeed any other SatNav system.  It is almost impossible to expect to have a wifi connection all the tme whilst driving.  Yes, you could use the cellphone signal, but that would be costly.
Hello "BIGTROUTZ"
Yes, but at least some of the apps you mention are payable.  I never paid for the Nokia aps.

some of the apps are free tho, in any case whats your point ?  You refuse to spend a flat rate of something like12 bux for sygic because you are too cheap to pay developers a pittance for months of their past and future effort ? If they supply something you get value from on an ongoing basis you should reconsider.  But then there are clearly too many spongers around already.

Offline thesaint

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »
Good Morning Bigtroutz,
That was rather a harsh comment.  Sygic may well be worth its asking price for someone who has a N7 only.  However; in my case I have a Garmin & a Smartphone too.  So I,m only using the N7 as a satnav because its a new toy to play with.  Therefore I have no need to spend out on another satnav application.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »
I would have to agree that developers should be compensated for their efforts, but I appreciate limited function free versions or trial versions of applications, which allow the user to determine if the application provides the functionality that one wants, making it worthy of the asking price, to that user.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
I'm confused. I agreed with your original post and then you disagreed . I never said it was impossible on Google Maps. I said you could program offline maps. I am unable to get Google Nav to work without a connection. Is it a SatNav ?Voice commands obviously wont connect and even if I try and connect with an already programmed address I get a data connection lost error. If there is a way to get Google Navigation to work without a connection how do you accomplish it ?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:03:23 AM by bjs229 »

Offline thesaint

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »
One of the methods I use is to be online.  Go to Google Maps.  Set up a route.  Tell it to start and do so.  You soon get voice message to say that you have lost the data connection.  It does not matter.  Just carry on and you will get verbal turn by turn instructions.  On completion of the journey you will of course need to be online again to request a new route.  If there is no WiFi at the next location; I use a MIFI in my pocket just to set up the new route, then turn it off whilst undertaking the journey.

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
Android apps are incredibly cheap by comparison to desktop apps.  I have no idea how or why this happened but a buck or 12 dollars, for instance, for a functional app is a steal, as are all of the trivial prices asked asked for Android software.  I find your attitude about paying for obviously complicated app development insulting as if free software was your right and you must discard consideration of any software with such modest costs out of hand.

Harsh is what you do, take from the productive without any thought for their effort as if it were the right thing to do.  Think about it.  Few are going to get stinking rich selling apps at Android kind of prices but at least you can pay for some of their living expenses so they keep on coding.

Offline thesaint

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Good Evening Bigtroutz,
                                     In a free market economy the seller can choose what his asking price is.  The true value of the product is the highest price the seller can sell a quantity which will bring him the maximum profit.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
If there were an offline nav program that could search a local database and plot a course, I'd gladly pay for it. The developer would have to determine whether selling 1000 units at 10$ or 10,000 at 1$ were possible. It's just a file, no theft proof wrap or jewel case or printed documentation. No distributors or retailers keystoning the price up. Do you really think an ebook should sell for the same as hardcopy?

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:45:45 AM »
Good Evening Bigtroutz,
                                     In a free market economy the seller can choose what his asking price is.  The true value of the product is the highest price the seller can sell a quantity which will bring him the maximum profit.

you think ?

A free market is whatever a seller and buyer agree is the proper price for a product.... period.   You, my friend, are simply misinformed.
Who is John Galt ?  We should be discovering shortly.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman