April 20, 2024, 12:58:52 AM

collapse

Author Topic: What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline steveg

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:51 AM »
Hi Eddie - 11,

On the link, whilst this does take MicroSD cards I think it still needs a standard USB port to connect to in which case a non starter unless you can use usb storage through MicrosSD to USB to MicroUSB connection.  Does that work?

Personally wasn't that fussed about the 8-gb then thought about how many films that wouldn't hold; def not enough for holiday purposes.

Actually am i being thick here; would the same usb to micro-usb cable that allows you to connect usb storage stick to galaxy s2 phone be a potential?

As in something like this: (sorry for putting a shop lonk here; i dont work there)

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/micro-usb-to-usb-converter-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-s2-note-p29842.htm

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
A USB to microUSB cable like you just posted should work fine in connecting the Nexus 7 to any kind of external storage.  Thumb drive, hard drive, flash storage...any should work. 
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
The GPS triangulates your position using satellites.   Nobody really uses the rear camera in most tablets so I feel this is a fair tradeoff to keep the price down.  The front camera will enable Google Chat calling though with video and Skype as well.

so this WILL be able to do turn by turn nav?

Offline rmm200

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
I think the best "sleeper" spec may be NFC setting up WIFI Direct. Looks great for gaming with friends.
I did not see MeMO 370T supporting either NFC or WIFI Direct, so these were a surprise.
Makes up for no onboard SD slot. I definitely want to check out one of the USB solutions.
And I want a dock...

Offline Eddie1551

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
Hi Eddie - 11,

On the link, whilst this does take MicroSD cards I think it still needs a standard USB port to connect to in which case a non starter unless you can use usb storage through MicrosSD to USB to MicroUSB connection.  Does that work?

Personally wasn't that fussed about the 8-gb then thought about how many films that wouldn't hold; def not enough for holiday purposes.

Actually am i being thick here; would the same usb to micro-usb cable that allows you to connect usb storage stick to galaxy s2 phone be a potential?

As in something like this: (sorry for putting a shop lonk here; i dont work there)

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/micro-usb-to-usb-converter-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-s2-note-p29842.htm

Yes, that should work fine. My bad, the link I posted must not be what I thought it was, darn me for staying up to late! Sorry for the mis-information about that product, but that micro-USB to USB cable then a SD card reader or flash drive or even a hard drive should work perfectly fine. That's why I'm not worried about the no SD, sure it's an extra cable I gotta keep with me but it's worth it if you want/need the extra storage, right? :D

I already got a card reader, like 6 flash drives, and 8 SD cards so the only thing I'll need is the USB cable. Of course I won't be getting the tablet for a few months so don't have to worry about that right now. :)

Regards,
Eddie.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:46:23 PM by Eddie1551 »

Offline spacemonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
I'm with you.  The lack of a micro sd port is almost totally a deal killer for me.

James

No SD card.

Offline quadtronix

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
I like that it has tegra 3... Also like the HD display and JB!!! Cant wait 4 them to start selling them in stores...  8)

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
I have a Kindle Fire, and in the Kindle Fire community, there were SO many complaints about the Fire, it was incredible. That being said, I loved my Kindle, did everything with it, hell, I even use it more than my laptop. I never understood the complaints. The Kindle Fire is an awesome tablet, I love reading books on it, watching movies (watched season 2 of the Walking Dead !), playing games, surfing the Internet, everything about it. It's a great tablet for $200. Now, comes along the Nexus 7. This thing just completely blows away the Kindle Fire, in every way. The specs are amazing. There are no perfect tablets, but for $200, this is as close as it gets.

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
doesnt this whole limited storage/lack of sd card only make sense if the tab were connected to a mobile 3g/4g network? then i would expect the complaints to be minimal.. with verizon "upgrading" their data plans to account for multiple devices, i could see that working out. maybe with the 2nd gen.

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
doesnt this whole limited storage/lack of sd card only make sense if the tab were connected to a mobile 3g/4g network? then i would expect the complaints to be minimal.. with verizon "upgrading" their data plans to account for multiple devices, i could see that working out. maybe with the 2nd gen.

Not everybody needs/wants or can afford that kind of phone.   :-\

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

Not everybody needs/wants or can afford that kind of phone.   :-\

you mean tablet? i think those are affordable with contract, and with verizon's new data plan structure it makes a lot of sense. anyway, i'm just saying that falls more inline with this movement to the cloud.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
Now that Stickmount is supported when you root it, the lack of micro SD becomes less of a problem.

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »
The HDMI out was the biggest bummer for me, plus having a rear facing camera would've been nice.  Other then these I'm happy with it.  Even if it had a 3G/4G radio on board I'd probably not use it.  Also I got the 16 Gig model, so I'm betting that's enough storage for me. 

But for $199 it definitely blows away the Kindle Fire which is what I'm using now.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman