March 29, 2024, 06:18:27 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 4.2.2 issue?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
4.2.2 issue?
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
Hi, all -

Since the 4.2.2 update yesterday, I'm spending all my bloody time on the N7 trying to regain my wireless connection. WiFi is on and off like a dripping faucet!

I just ran a test: when the N7 lost connection (again) I checked our two Kindles setting right next to me -- both had WiFi!

Anyone else experiencing this? If not, any suggestions?
Cheers,
- martyh

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 4.2.2 issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
Not real sure, but if a reboot doesn't help, try settings/wifi -menu in upper right /advanced/wifi optimization.(uncheck)

Try forgetting the connection and reentering password.

Reboot router

try wifi connection manager app to see the channel and signal strength, look for competing routers near the same channel as yours and change the channel if necessary.

See if the problem occurs on another hot spot.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35496&q=wifi%20drops%204.2.2&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
Try and relax. Reboot.  Reboot router. Take notes and a breath. What's the story? What does dripping mean?  Off and on?
Kindle doesn't mean anything except maybe you downloaded some bad apps. Think!  Seriously. What do you have going on that is out of the ordinary?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:41:40 AM by bjs229 »

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
The kindles may just have better antennae. I've noticed my wifi cycles from 4 bars to 1 which may be the same issue but with a stronger router signal.
Also, as birdastrompgman can attest, the antenna on the nexus7 is on the back cover and connects to the circuit board with spring contacts. If you aren't seeing as many ssids the contacts may be cleaned. Search the posts for his teardown pics.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
Did rebooting /restarting both devices help? Whenever my Wi-Fi gets squirrelly a quick reset usually does the trick. I do notice that my Wi-Fi signal meter does fluctuate even when next to the router. The bars kind of mess with your mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:28:44 PM by bjs229 »

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
Thanks, all, for feedback and suggestions.

I rebooted; no change. I deleted the network from N7, reentered pw key; no change. I installed Wireless Network Manager -- fixed networks, etc.; no change. The only thing different over the past week, before the 4.2.2 update: I added a network wifi extender. I simply unplugged it, reran a fix using the Wifi Manager app, and --
the wireless on the N7 is now more stable; it still drops occasionally but seems to reconnect on its own without my needing to manually deal with it. I'm going to reconnect the Wifi extender again, but with a unique SSID and see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll probably just return the extender. Too bad, too, because it's very cool.

Thanks again.
-mh

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »
I have encountered the same issue using "Extender Mode". Check to see if you have the option to set your extender to "Access Point Mode", you will then have a separate "SSID" for the Access Point and it will eliminate the problem.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »
Also depends if you are equi-distance between the two routers.

I have a similar issue, but if my connection doesn't switch to the strongest signal, as it should, then I turn off/on the wifi on my device.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts