March 28, 2024, 04:53:26 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Guide to Changing Your Custom Recovery or Reinstalling  (Read 3570 times)

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Guide to Changing Your Custom Recovery or Reinstalling
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
If you have rooted and installed a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP an OS upgrade can restore you stock recovery or you may decide to switch between CWM and TWRP. Using this guide will make managing your recovery a simple task.

If you have downloaded "recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3-grouper.img" hoping to install CWM Touch, you have found that the file does not install from within Android. The ".img" file is actually executed with a fastboot command while connected to your computer and the Nexus 7 in "Fastboot Mode." Knowing this along with the important knowledge that you can change from CWM, TWRP, or Stock Recovery by flashing one recovery over the other makes the procedure a simple one following this guide.

Note we will be using the Google Nexus 7 Toolkit developed by Mark Skippen which also offers a "One Click Root and Recovery install for the Nexus 7". The Toolkit comes in a full featured "Free" version and a "Donate" version that offers easy updates. I personally chose to donate to support development and get easy updates.

Step 1  Download and install the Google_Nexus_7_ToolKit_v4.0.0.exe on your computer from this link. If you are using the same computer that you rooted your Nexus 7 on, the ADB and fastboot drivers will already be installed and if not the toolkit will install them for you.

Step 2  Start the toolkit with your Nexus 7 connected by USB and pick Option 6 from the "Main Menu" and select your choice of recovery (CWM Touch, TWRP, Stock), then type "no" when asked if you are in "Recovery Mode" and your new choice will be flashed over your current Recovery. Note make sure you accept "USB Debugging" on your Nexus 7 when you open the toolkit.

Each recovery has its own benefits, but personally I like the fact that CWM Touch preserves root and your current recovery when applying an OTA Upgrade like 4.2.2.

S.Prime
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:10:15 PM by S.Prime »

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Guide to Changing Your Custom Recovery or Reinstalling
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
The toolkits are great, but I still prefer the fastboot commands. However, you still must have adb and fastboot drivers installed. To check you can type "adb devices" from a cmd window. Your connected devices should display. Rename your desired recovery file to "recovery.img" Open a cmd window and change directory to the recovery.img location.

Type the following commands
Code: [Select]
adb reboot fastboot
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

I use CWM Touch as well, which requires manual installation. (Or with a tool kit, but not through an app)

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
Thanks Ryan, for the fastboot commands, I agree that it does offer another free alternative for the CWM Touch install. The ultimate easy install is available by single click in RomManager available at Play Google but it will cost $1.99 for a "single install", easy but a bit costly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
I never could bring myself to throwing down the measly two bucks for the recovery install. I've been using ROM Manager since my OG Droid days, so I don't mind supporting the dev, just couldn't resist knowing how to do it since that's another option. You do need to let ROM Manager know that you have manually installed CWM in order to utilize the in app features.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:04:16 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:32 AM »
If I have one complaint with Rom Manager, the $2.00 charge to install CWM Touch would be it and the fact that it is a per install charge, so if you had to reset your device, you would have to pay again. It is note worthy that Rom Manager will install the standard version of CWM or TWRP without any change.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »
Rom Toolbox has the flash recovery options. Free after you own the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:06 AM »
In the reviews for Rom Manager Premium there are complaints about having to pay for CWM Touch initially and again after changing devices, which is the reason I have never considered purchasing it. Has this changed?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman