April 18, 2024, 05:05:07 PM

collapse

Author Topic: In-car Navigation  (Read 6064 times)

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: In-car Navigation
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »
If it's of any use.  I use Navfree.  Download the maps you want from their easy to use selection and that's it.

Plan route, change route anything offline.  Works perfectly well and got me all around France in Summer.

You do need to doanload postcode/Zip code support seperately - still free though.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
The last time I tried navfree the addresses would only resolve to the nearest major intersection, which might be a half mile away. I'll try it again, maybe that was fixed. Thx. Seems like all the nav apps assumed my car was facing the other way and didn't like my route changes.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »
Hi guys, just want to remind everyone to keep the tone of the discussion positive.  No personal attacks allowed and no insulting.  Got it?  Thanks ;)

We're all free to have our own opinions as to what we're willing to pay for and not pay for and usually in the end it all evens out because we tend to 'get what we pay for'.    I think obviously having the HSPA+ version of the Nexus 7 would allow a better car nav experience compared to Wi-Fi since you'd be connected all the time similar to a mobile phone.  I use my Android phone for car nav and never expected to use my Nexus 7 for this since I just assumed not having a mobile data capability would not make it optimal for car nav type use (unless of course I tethered it to my phone).  Anyway,  let's continue the conversation but keep things light and not nasty or I'll have to lock the thread.  Thanks everyone.

BFM 
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline NordieBoy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
I need the nav app to be able to read Garmin IMG files and do off line routing.
Less than 5mins from the city centre and there can be no cell coverage at all.

Orux Maps reads the IMG files but doesn't do off line routing.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Re: In-car Navigation
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
One of the methods I use is to be online.  Go to Google Maps.  Set up a route.  Tell it to start and do so.  You soon get voice message to say that you have lost the data connection.  It does not matter.  Just carry on and you will get verbal turn by turn instructions.  On completion of the journey you will of course need to be online again to request a new route.  If there is no WiFi at the next location; I use a MIFI in my pocket just to set up the new route, then turn it off whilst undertaking the journey.
I understand how to use it when online. I thought the whole point of the thread was offline use?
As far as paying for apps, I am happy to acknowledge a developer for their hard work. If the app works for me and it is something that I will use. That builds value. Done deal.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:58:27 PM by bjs229 »

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
The last time I tried navfree the addresses would only resolve to the nearest major intersection, which might be a half mile away. I'll try it again, maybe that was fixed. Thx. Seems like all the nav apps assumed my car was facing the other way and didn't like my route changes.
Definately works better than that now.  It takes me to the address (you may want to download the postcodes/zipcodes as they don't come as standard).

It does sometimes take you long ways around and favours major roads, but it works ok for what I want.

Offline thesaint

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
I find that generally the most accurate way to pinpoint a location, for any satnav, is to find exactly where it is on Google Earth and copy the co-ordinates into the satnav.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman