March 28, 2024, 05:21:07 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Ubuntu For Tablets Coming To Nexus 7 and 10 This Thursday  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Ubuntu For Tablets Coming To Nexus 7 and 10 This Thursday
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »

There was an interesting press conference this morning held by Canonical, the makers of the Ubuntu operating system that has gained a following among the Linux crowd.  While the phone, pc desktop and even tv versions had previously been shown, this was the grand unveiling of the tablet version that the company is hoping will catch on and provide a true 4th OS platform rivaling Android, Apple's iOS and Microsft's Windows and Windows Phone.   The company has announced that Google's Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets will be the very first to receive the OS Developer Preview on February 21st.

The OS features a few tricks up its sleeve such as 'Sidestage' which is described by Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth here:

"Ubuntu allows a phone app on the screen at the same time as a tablet app," Canonical said. "The Ubuntu side stage was invented both to enable efficient multitasking and to improve the usability of phone apps on tablets."

There's also efficient use of all the screen edges with a swipe on all four sides bringing up some dedicated function such as settings, open apps etc.  The Ubuntu tablet OS uses the same OS and code as the phone, PC and TV interfaces which the company promises will provide a 'unified experience' between all your devices.   The company is promising that development for Ubuntu will be very easy with an easy to use and advanced SDK.  So what say you forum members?  Will you try Ubuntu for Tablets on your Nexus 7?

Full press release HERE.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:37:52 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu For Tablets Coming To Nexus 7 and 10 This Thursday
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:29:06 AM »
If I had a second nexus. Installable image=replacement rom? So no dual boot or loading on top of android? How much ram does the os require? So many questions, so few brains.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
My take is that Ubuntu is banking on "Unity", where the same basic OS runs on all devices (AKA Windows 8 strategy to me  ;D), meaning Desktop, Phone, and Tablet, but for me, my feet a set and relatively happy with Android. Microsoft does not have the track record to pull me away from Android at this time, but Ubuntu does not carry that stigma, so it may have a better chance of winning me away from Android. As much as it interests me, I will wait and see how it unfolds before dumping Android.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I did see something a while back about a dual boot option. Might be an alternative until one makes the decision.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
A nice easy way to try Ubuntu on a Nexus device...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/21/how-to-flash-ubuntu-touch-preview-on-a-nexus-device-using-custom-recovery/

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:19 PM »
I would try it.  I have been underwhelmed by the default Android implementation on the N7 altho it is amusing to see all the wild wild west app dev underway !!

Rooting or this Linux version would seem to be competing alternatives but I would expect some considerable difficulties getting Linux applications to run properly on a flash memory based tablet device. 

Offline engineer

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
Possibly stupid question from a newbie.
Since android is derived from Linux, will android apps run unmodified in a linux/Ubuntu environment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts