March 29, 2024, 03:50:38 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Would the old really be old?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline fallon

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Would the old really be old?
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
As I look around and try to glean information about the N7-2nd gen, I find there is not a lot of posts generated on this subject. That got me to start thinking. Besides the the fact that we all like something new and find it exciting the question arises. Does it really matter? I mean, sure the new model tells us that things are alive and kicking and that helps validate our previous choices and it helps draw new users into the chosen platform, but still so what? I do not mean that to sound dismissive, but when we look at the N7 we find a very usable piece of equipment.

Faster processors, higher res screens,  rear facing cameras, mini HDMI all sound wonderful, but I for one am not running DNA testing and will not be using that kind of power. The screen is really nice as is. Has the Tegra 3 been maxed out? Etc. Many things can be accommodated, such as using a case for lack of Gorilla Glass (I will use a case regardless.) To me at this point the focus is on the OS. I believe that Key Lime Pie will have the greater impact on my use than anything else. Eventually a new model will find its way into my hands, but the original N7 is quite the machine and I believe has a lot time ahead of it.

Having said all that, I have yet to appropriate a Nexus because I was going to wait for the new one. This is what started me on this little journey. Anyway, what is your take on this train of thought. I have left a lot unsaid, but I would enjoy reading your ideas.

P.S. I must say that I am not a gamer and the thoughts above are advanced with that in mind.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:51:51 PM by fallon »

Age is mandatory, maturity is optional.

JayJ

Re: Would the old really be old?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
The current generation Nexus 7 is a great device for it's price point, depending in the pricing of the next generation it may still be a good seller but only you can device based on your usage whether this generation or the next is suitable for you.
What you have to remember is all this talk if the 2nd gen Nexus 7 is speculation, nobody except for Google and the device OEM really know what the specs are going to be in this or any other device until it's released.

I doubt I'll be rushing out to replace my 32GB current gen Nexus 7 once the 2nd gen arrives, it has plenty of life left in it and I'll probably wait it out for the 3rd gen before I upgrade...

...but I am looking forward to KLP for my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 when it arrives...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:37:44 AM by JayJ »

Offline fallon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
I agree. It is speculation, but even if it were true its relevance to my use would also be minimal. It wouldn't open up other avenues for additional uses. It seems that KLP should take care of that.

JayJ says:
I doubt I'll be rushing out to replace my 32GB current gen Nexus 7 once the 2nd gen arrives, it has plenty of life left in it and I'll probably wait it out for the 3rd gen before I upgrade...

...but I am looking forward to KLP for my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 when it arrives...

What you said is where I find myself today. It is fun to see new things, but they won't be a life changer. Well, I hope I am not just giving myself reasons to just go out and get a gen1.  :D

I made a list of what is speculation, I made a list of what is current, and I made a list of what I do and the answer is the "old" looks pretty new to me.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
Well I just always have to have the latest and greatest so ill take two please :-P lol being kind sarcastic but ibdobalways end up with the new one some how if it is leaps and bounds better. If it is only small changes ill pass but I consider better hardware more than worthy of an upgrade.

If I could just have a tablet and a phone with similarly awesome screens I would be happy but going from my N4 to my N7 annoys me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
Tongue-in-cheek:

Google I/O 2013 running 15-17May2013 will allay a lot of speculations about the next generation of our Nexus 7 and other Google products and services. While the current Nexus 7 is quite adequate for the majority of users, we must all choose our personal "Buy in Point (BIP)", which is governed by, "Cost, Need, and Desire", therefore, ranking those should yield ones BIP. Right now I would rank the "OP" as Cost-Acceptable, Need-Low, Desire-Rising, but if your rising desire can wait for Google I/O you add new dynamics to the equation, especially if the new generation Nexus 7 comes in at the same price point as the current Nexus 7 or even lower and pushes the current version down in price. As and example if the new generation Nexus 7 comes in at the lowest rumored price of $150 US, I would rank myself as Cost-Wow, Need-Zero, Desire-Hot, so yes I would buy one and a younger family member gets a nice gift, but if the price comes in at $250 US, my ranking changes to Cost-HoHum, Need-Zero, Desire-Luke Warm, so I would keep my current Nexus 7, and a younger family member waits for the variables to change.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:45:23 PM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fallon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
There is a lot of truth to the Buy In Point that you made. I really enjoy those types of  routes in decision making. Reminds me of the old proposition of choosing 2 out of 3 attributes, can't choose all 3. It's a fun game. Yes, the I/O will most likely bring some clarity, at least I hope so. After reading your post and fxsarge, I shall wait with the rest and see what comes out of it. One thing though, I would like to see a softer bevel. Oh well ...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts