March 28, 2024, 10:03:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: I'm trying to love it...  (Read 10069 times)

Offline mdholm

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
I'm trying to love it...
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
I've said before that I'm a long time Apple user.  I'm comfortable with iOS; it works for me.  I've been wanting a smaller, more portable, tablet, though, so I picked up a Nexus 7.  I know I could've gotten an iPad Mini, but I didn't for a number of reasons.  I have an iPhone5 and an iPad3; a Mini felt redundant.  The mini isn't as mini as the N7; I really like the size of the Nexus.  The price...16gb for $329 vs 32gb N7 for $249.  And, the company I work for is getting ready to switch from Blackberry phones to Androids and I thought the N7 would be more compatible for work.  Reviews I've read say that the Nexus 7 is the android tablet to have, so that's the one I went with.

So, typically I'm on my iPad every day.  I've replaced my netbook with it (I do still use my desktop computer, though) and am quite happy with it.  After I bought the N7 I played with it for a bit, then set it aside and picked my iPad back up.  But, dang it!  I bought the N7, I should learn how to use it, right?  (And before you say return it, I've missed my window for that.)  I put my iPad away, and started only using the N7.  Its so different!  And, even if I can get the same apps, they aren't the same.  Two examples: Next Issue...iOS offers tons of different magazines to read via this app.  The Android version only has half as many.  And this one I really don't get: a band I follow has a new album out.  I can find it using Spotify on my iPad and iPhone, but not on the N7.  Why the variations in content? 

I've come here to appeal to those of you who use and love your Nexus 7.  What does an N7 do that an iPad can't?  Keep in mind that I'm not very technical so I won't be rooting it or sideloading apps or doing anything beyond what it can do out of the box.  I'd really like to hear from anyone who also has an iPad.  What do you use the Nexus for that you can't do on the iPad?  I'd love to hear about some "ah-ha" feature that totally makes me fall in love with my little device.  I will say I love the size and feel of it.  It fits in my hand comfortably; I've tried holding iPad Minis the same way and they are too wide. 

Help me, Obi-wan, Kenobi, you're my only hope. 

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to love it...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Big hardware differences.
N7 has a much nicer screen with a higher PPI

N7 has a full gig of ram, apple products have half a gig still I believe

N7 has a fancy quad core processor while the mini uses a dual core that's now two years old

The N7 also has a 16:9 screen ratio which is awesome for movies.

The N7 also has NFC and when coupled with a sweet NFC phone you can have some cool results

Software
Android has some uniques features that truly allow you to make the device your own. Take a look at our screen shots thread and see what some of our members are doing.

And I'm not sure on thus but do the apple products offer WiFi direct?

And last but not least is Google. I love the Google services. Some people bitch and moan about them and I just don't understand. You get so many outstanding free services from them its unreal. Go to the play store and click and any Google app and then click more from that developer and pretty much install everything Lol.

The play store also has an awesome selection of media from books, movies, TV, and music. The best part is that when you buy these things you can download then to your PC. And any music you may buy from outside of Google you can have automatically upload from your PC to the Google cloud with Google music manger.

I just find android to be much more flexible, intuitive, but more complex than iOS. I've always said and will stand buy that iOS was designed so the technologically illiterate can pick it up and use it. Android needs more practice and the more attention you give it the better you are just like a PC VS. Mac.

And last but not least.... It fits in your pocket!!!! Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »
<<<I just find android to be much more flexible, intuitive, but more complex than iOS. I've always said and will stand buy that iOS was designed so the technologically illiterate can pick it up and use it. Android needs more practice and the more attention you give it the better you are just like a PC VS. Mac.>>>

I did say I wasn't very technical. 

Thanks for your comments. 

Offline ivan

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
I personally love android, and so does my wife. The amount of customizations is great. For me its about customization, and being able to do what i want. Widgets are a godsend and I love playing with them. My wife likes being able to torrent ebooks, and then explore her android via a file explorer to find and move around the ebooks, she likes being organized. I like being able to get right into my N7 settings, even though its not rooted, and disable certain apps, or even change the launcher. I also like that I can just hook up my N7 to my computer and sideload things using windows file manager, instead of going through iTunes. Grabbing apk files off of the internet is nice too, my snes emulator iisn't on googleplay.

But that being said, perhaps android just isn't for you. You tried it, and it sound like you gave it a fair trial, nothing wrong with that! We have a iMac at work, I use it, but I dislike it... I've tried to like it, but I just can't get used to it, so I understand. Its your device, use what you like. The only thing I would say in hindsight, you should have borrowed someones android device, or tested a store one for longer.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
There's a level of depth with android that iOS doesn't that allows you to almost endlessly tinker to optimize every last processing power into your favor. iOS is straight forward, has minimal settings and only one way or a select few ways to do everything.

If your the tinkering type, love performance, love personalization, then android is for you.

If you don't have the patience for those things and just want something simplistic than stag with iOS

And what's great with android is that you can do all of these optimizations and customizations without rooting. iOS requires jail breaking to do a lot of the same features.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
It's a philosophical choice with me. In a free open source system there can be fragmentation and confusion. In a fascist closed system, the trains will run on time even though few can afford to ride.

One area that ios wins is with music apps. Android has too much system and audio lag to run apps like band in a box or multitrack recording or amp and effect modeling. Hope that changes.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »
I agree with Matt on the music front. The only reason I ever considered Mac back in the day was for recording music and video. The train quote is priceless.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
It's a philosophical choice with me. In a free open source system there can be fragmentation and confusion. In a fascist closed system, the trains will run on time even though few can afford to ride.

One area that ios wins is with music apps. Android has too much system and audio lag to run apps like band in a box or multitrack recording or amp and effect modeling. Hope that changes.

I'll give you that, but that also comes with the user. I only listen to music and android is more than capable to play music. Since my needs in that department haven't exceeded that, I haven't noticed it lacking. I will say the stock music player sucks and that is the only one that is compatible with the cloud.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
The lag has gotten better, I once tried a drum machine app clipped to a mike stand but 300ms lag made it unusable. Synth and keyboard programs as well as song lyrics and tablature would be a good fit for music performance on a small stage. A classical orchestra could replace reams of sheet music with tablets, changing pages with a flick of the bow through camera gestures or audio sync and annotating changes easily by the conductor.

I've also seen wifi enabled sound mixers that can be remote controlled with an ipad. That should be doable on android.

The more uses, the better. An economy of scale.

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Ok, I gave it my best shot but I have come to the conclusion that my heart belongs to Apple. I'll be selling my Nexus 7 and getting an iPad Mini. Thanks for all your advice.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
You're going to make us all cry...

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »
People gave valid reasons why the Nexus outperforms the mini  so... Why exactly?

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:43:48 AM »
Ok, I gave it my best shot but I have come to the conclusion that my heart belongs to Apple. I'll be selling my Nexus 7 and getting an iPad Mini. Thanks for all your advice.
People who can, buy an Android device. People who can't, buy an Apple device.

Best of luck.

Sent from my 16Gb Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
Wow.  People complain about iFans and how smug we are, but its nothing compared to the attitude I'm getting here.  I hope you are happy, making me feel stupid because I can't figure out my Nexus 7.  I came here, seeking genuine advice and support, and I ended up being made to feel small.  Be proud that you are smart enough to run an Android device and rejoice in the fact that another stupid Apple user fell by the wayside. 

Its funny.  I have a Kindle Fire HD and I read a Kindle board.  I have an iPad3 and I read an iPad forum.  I got a Nexus 7, and joined this group.  Out of the 3 of them the ONLY one where the members don't try to belittle people who use other tablets is the iPad forum. 

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
You are really being over sensitive. I don't see you being bashed or abused anywhere. Why are you badmouthing the forum and our members? Reading thru the thread folks took there time trying to give you reasons for what you asked. They did a very good job of giving many valid reasons why the Nexus is flat out a better device . You gave no reasons why the device wasn't really working out for you. You choose not to think objectively. You came with a preconceived notion, closed minded and  you wasted people's time. Now you are claiming you are a victim? Cmon, get a grip.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:35:33 AM by bjs229 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt