March 28, 2024, 01:52:26 PM

collapse

Author Topic: lock screen questions  (Read 1630 times)

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
lock screen questions
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »
I have my nexus 7 pattern-locked.

1. When at power up the lock screen appears, for a brief second an empty square outline partly appears on the top left of the screen and then disappears before I have a chance to do anything with it. Just the right edge appears. What is that?

2. Is there any way to modify the locked screen? Like adding widgets or rearranging things?

Thanks.

Offline SheerluckSherlock

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: lock screen questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
To question 1: I get it too. Maybe someone else knows what is causing it and how to get rid of it because I dont.
To question 2: You can add widgets. When you are on your lock screen swipe to the right and you should get a white box with a + in it. Press on the + and you can add widgets. You can add more widgets, you can scroll through on your lock screen, by performing the same action described before again.
There are lock screen apps that allow you to add themes to the lock screen but I dont use them, maybe someone else can chime in on this one.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:58:39 AM »
Thank you for the help with the lockscreen. I will try it.

On my phone I use locker widget but I thought I read somewhere that on the nexus one could modify the lockscreen without a separate tool. That's why I asked.

Maybe someone else will know about the empty box on the lockscreen.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
There apps that include widgets that can be put on your lockscreen. There are not many available yet, since this is a new feature of Android 4.2, and only a few devices have the latest version.

Sherlock was spot on. On your lockscreen, drag the clock to the right, then press the plus sign in the empty box. This will bring up the widgets available to use. More than one can be added, and you can scroll through them on the lockscreen. When scrolling through them, tap one and you will be prompted to unlock. You cannot change the location of the widgets, only the order in which they appear.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:33:30 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I now have my answers.

1. The empty box that briefly peeks out on the top left is the edge of the area of the +.

2. Works as designed to add widgets but the selection is rather meager.

So it looks like I will need to use a separate app to add other widgets there.

Thank you both for helping.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:55:59 PM by nexusNovice »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
Glad we could help... As more developers design apps with compatibility for android 4.2, well see more widgets. The widgets available for the lockscreen are included as part of another app. There aren't many apps that the only function being a lockscreen widget.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
There are lots of widgets compatible with the 4.2 lockscreen, app developers are adding the feature to existing widgets so just test some out.

DashClock is great, its a clock replacement with notifications. Beautiful Widgets is another and there are lots of others.

Just a little off topic, do you realise how insecure the pattern lock is? Tilt your screen near as light source after you swipe the pattern, you can see a grease smudge your finger has created. PIN or Password screenlocks are more secure.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:29:19 AM by JayJ »

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
Thanks. Somehow I thought patterns were more secure because they would be harder to guess. But you have an excellent point. Will think about it though I suspect anything less than encryption is probably not really secure. But I hear that encryption has its own problems too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts