March 28, 2024, 06:33:13 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Tethering the nexus  (Read 2167 times)

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Tethering the nexus
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
I have a rooted android 2.3.4 phone with tethering capabilities. I've never needed to tether till now. But now I have a nexus 7 and would like to use the phone's custom rom built in tether capabilities. Can't get it to work.
When I turn on wireless tether on the phone , it asks for root permission and then sets itself with the SSID of AndroidTether. But the wireless on the nexus cannot see AndroidTether. Works fine with other wlans. Just can't connect to Android tether. Do I need to do something else to make the tether work on the nexus?
Thanks

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Tethering the nexus
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
Try Open Garden on your phone. It worked for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Will look at it. Thanks.
I prefer wifi tether rather than bluetooth if possible because of the additional battery drain on the phone. I have BT turned off on the phone to save battery.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
We need more information here. What phone ate you using to tether. And what ROM? Have you asked the ROM developer for support? Have you tried changing the SSID and WEP key? What WEP security are you using? Can any other devices see your SSID and connect?

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
You are absolutely correct. I will need to collect and provide more info.
BTW, the nexus is not yet rooted.

The phone is a rooted LG Optimus Q running android 2.3.4
The custom rom I am using is the arq 2.1
from http://androidarea51.com/arearomq-releases/%28rom%29-arearomq-v2-1-1106/
The tether is included in the rom and I believe it is from
https://code.google
and is called "android-wifi-tether"

It works great on the phone. Asks for su permission and when I click it says it is tethering. I then went to my Windows 7 laptop and found it listed as AndroidTether with no encryption. The laptop connected with no difficulty. Signal strength "excellent".

On the Nexus AndroidTether did not appear on the wifi list and so I added it. Still would not connect to AndroidTether and nexus says "not in range" which I think means it cannot detect it. Not sure why.

Here is another wifi problem that might provide a clue:
This is a new Nexus 7 (2 days old). My home wlan is wpa2-psk protected with a long complicated password impossible to type out. So I connected using my router's wps. Immediately connected the nexus.

Then I left home with the nexus, and when I came home discovered the Nexus would not re-connect to my home wlan. I again had to resort to the wps which I really do not like. I assumed that for some reason nexus did not "remember" the password and perhaps that was because it was entered via wps.

Not likely, but just to check, I moved a text file containing the network password to the nexus, disconnected from the wlan and tried to manually reconnect using copy/paste to enter the password. Would not connect (yes it is the correct password and I've done this several times on other Windows devices).

So I think that for some reason there is a setting that is set wrong on the nexus. I am an old hand with computers but networks drive me crazy and I hate them.

Hope this sheds some light and thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »
The Nexus should remember the wep key. This is odd.  I'll look into that, once we know that you are connecting and remembering properly, well work on the tether.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts