March 28, 2024, 05:20:49 AM

collapse

Author Topic: flashdrive with the nexus 7  (Read 2017 times)

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
flashdrive with the nexus 7
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
I am looking at how to use a usb flash drive with an unrooted Nexus 7. Am I correct in understanding that all that is needed is an otg cable and some software like stickmount?

Does this just allow me to store data on the flashdrive or can I use something like a2sd to run apps from the drive? On my rooted android 2.3.4 phone a2sd puts symbolic links that trick the phone to think the apps are in the internal memory.

Any recommendations r cautions about purchasing an otg cable?

Thanks.

Offline dominic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: flashdrive with the nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
your N7 must be rooted to use Stickmount.
For unrooted N7 you can use Nexus Media Importer available on Play Google store

Nexus Media Importer allows you to import and stream music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or SD card connected to your Nexus 7 & 10 ...

Update: NMI does work with 4.2.2, but people have had issues. Try opening NMI, then connecting the USB device. If that does not work, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »
Thank you for replying so quickly. I misspoke. My nexus 7 is rooted (not unrooted). Sorry.

So my original question remains. Can the flash drive be used for running apps running something like a2sd?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
Back when Android 2.2 or Froyo was released apps2sd was added to Android but as of 4.1 (I believe), Google have removed the feature in favour of a storage system shared between apps and multimedia.
There was an app, I forget its name but since 4.2's emulated storage layout it's broken and no longer supported.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Back when Android 2.2 or Froyo was released apps2sd was added to Android but as of 4.1 (I believe), Google have removed the feature in favour of a storage system shared between apps and multimedia.
There was an app, I forget its name but since 4.2's emulated storage layout it's broken and no longer supported.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JJ is referring to the Directory Bind App, which let users spoof the data directories used by apps, and actually stored the data on a USB Flash Drive.  Directory Bind is not supported, and became useless with Android 4.2's new directory structure.  See my thread on the 64GB Question.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee