March 28, 2024, 08:00:47 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Launchers  (Read 8502 times)

Offline engineer

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Launchers
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
I use Nova Prime, I've used many launchers in my 3 years of Android. ADW and Launcher Pro were great in their day but are based on the Gingerbread launcher so dated now, Nova, Apex, Holo and Action Launcher are the best 4.x.x launchers.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

I can't find a head to head comparison of the different available launchers and would therefore love to learn from your experience. (Though fun,  it takes a lot of time to setup each new launcher just to put it through its paces) .

I am currently using ADWLAUNCHER EX. What would you say that Nova or Apex launchers do "better" or "more" than ADWLAUNCHER EX?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Melliejoy

• I void warranties, for fun I mean science...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 04:51:46 AM »
I used Tile Launcher for a while because it felt nice  and smooth. But now + 1 for Nova Launcher, mostly for its ability to hide apps. (Stock launcher, Y U No do this?)
Good stories are not made, but born. To watch one awaken at your fingertips is a gift of indescribable proportions.

JayJ

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
I can't find a head to head comparison of the different available launchers and would therefore love to learn from your experience. (Though fun,  it takes a lot of time to setup each new launcher just to put it through its paces) .

I am currently using ADWLAUNCHER EX. What would you say that Nova or Apex launchers do "better" or "more" than ADWLAUNCHER EX?

Thanks

As LeoRex stated both Nova and Apex are extensions of the stock launcher, most of the features found in Nova and Apex are found in ADW but Nova and Apex are current and still being innovated. There are many themes available for ADW buy not so many be ones being made whereas new Nova and Apex themes, which are compatible, appear regularly.
I haven't used ADW in some time but Apex and Nova have features specifically for Android 4.2 like gesture for Quick settings and 4.x fodder support.
I did use ADW about 4 months ago because my Nexus 4 had to be returned and whilst waiting for a replacement I had to use an SE Xperia X10 Mini running Android 2.1 so Nova and Apex wouldn't work, I felt accustomed to Nova and missed it sorely, was glad when my N4 replacement arrived.
It's personal choice really, if your happy with ADW then stick with it but Nova and Apex are great additions to Android 4.2.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »
Thank you. Good explanation. ADW does have folders too. I have tried both nova and apex. I guess it comes down to what you get used to.

Offline LeoRex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
Yep..  there are subtle differences between them... just find the one you like and go with it

Sent from my SCH-I200

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 05:30:44 AM »
Jay you should take a look at adw again because its been getting some serious updates. Here is a screen shot of mine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
I just can't bring myself to use a Gingerbread based launcher on Android 4.x...
Nova and Apex have both just had updates and are even better...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I'm playing around with Nova. I'm hitting a problem that maybe is not unique to this launcher.

I'm trying to add bookmarks I have in Boat Browser, I get the error saying "no more room on this homescreen". If I try to add the bookmark directly from the home screen I am given only the Bookmarks available in Chrome which is not where my bookmarks are. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Offline LeoRex

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
It's a weird quirk... launch your stock launcher and clear out a couple of icons on the home screen...  not sure why, but I think Google play doesn't know about the 3rd party launcher, so it seems it to the stock one.

Sent from my SCH-I200

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
I had read up on it before asking, so I already did that. I opened the stock launcher and removed all the shortcuts on all its pages. Problem persisted. So, I rebooted to clear the memory and then tried again after setting nova as the default launcher but the problem / bug persists. It keeps telling me I have no more room and unlike earlier episodes, it doesn't add the shortcut to the homescreen.

Hope there is a work around.

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
Additional information:
Even though it says there's no more room, it adds the shortcut -  but to the stock launcher homescreen.

So, I. I'm going back to adw launcher on which I at least have the shortcuts set up.   :'(

JayJ

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
What grid size do you have Nova set too?

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
I just checked. The grid is 6 and 6. I don't think I changed it from the default.

When I added the Bookmarks they got added once to the stock launcher and once to adw even though in both cases nova was set as default.

Q: On the nova homescreen, long press/add bookmark only lets you add chrome bookmarks. Is there a way to make nova see other browser bookmarks?

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Fwiw, Apex (which I believe is also based on the stock launcher) does not have this problem. So it may be a bug in nova. I wrote to the author and he said he would look into it.

If anyone knows a way around it please let me know.

JayJ

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Sorry I can't help here because primarily I use Chrome and secondary I use a modded older Android browser with flash so not sure about the  widget thing. My suggestion was going to be contract the developer but look like you've already done that, maybe they can fix it...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts