April 19, 2024, 12:41:03 PM

collapse

Author Topic: I Need a keyboard  (Read 16476 times)

Offline freakshow999

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I Need a keyboard
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
A Bluetooth keyboard has batteries to draw power from. A USB keyboard draws from its host. The nexus may not be supplying enough. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

I'm using the iHome bluetooth keyboard. It has a lion recharchable battery that will last for at least a couple of weeks on a full charge being used eight hours a day. I know this because that's how I use it and have yet to run out of battery. It will recharge from any standard usb port (doesn't need 2 amps like the N7) It's light, portable and the keys feel like keys though the spacing is a little tight. Most of the function keys work out of the box and you can install External Keyboard Helper Pro to custom map keys etc.

Sent from Keone's Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline ssschultz

• View Profile
Re: Re: I Need a keyboard
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »

Hi.

Has anyone tried this  http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nexus+7+keyboard&_sacat=0&_from=R40   sort of thing and are they any good?

John.

Okay here is a review of a similar case.  I got it for $24 from ebay after seeing this post.  It arrived quickly since it was from a us seller but if you can find a cheaper one from China it is probably pretty similar. 

First impressions:  The case was advertised as aluminum but it is actually aluminum color plastic.  It appears to be decently made and matches the styling of my Nexus really well.  I was hoping it would be a little bigger so it would work with my TPU case but it is a snug fit with just the tablet.  I  put the tablet in the closed position and while it holds the Nexus okay the clips are just a hairs breadth too small to snap over the silver bezel on my Nexus.  I don't know if that is meant to be that way because it is snug in the keyboard case even without the clips snapping on.  The angle of the display is a little steep for me so I think I will have to put a wedge or something under the keyboard.

Using it:  The keystrokes actually feel pretty good and responsive but the keyboard itself is abysmally small.  I don't know what I was expecting but hopefully I'll get used to it.  I don't really type on the tablet that much but on the occasion I do I think this is an improvement over typing or swyping on the screen.  It is working while charging and the bluetooth connection was quick and easy. I am still getting the initial charge on it so I don't know what the battery life will be like.

Overall:  I think it will be a fine case.  For the price I cant complain.  I would say if you actually need to create content on your Nexus 7 get and carry a full sized keyboard.  If you occasionally pretend to wax eloquent, intelligent or professional and write a review for a product like this it is probably a fine keyboard for you.  I think the ultimate case would be similar to this only slightly bigger to accommodate a TPU case and make the keyboard itself a little bigger.

Hope this helps if you are looking for a case.  If I missed something, which I probably did, feel free to ask.  I will try to answer it.

Edit: I decided to test out the hold of the little clips while the tablet and keyboard are closed.  I turned it upside down and shook it and the tablet fell out with not too much effort.  If you get this be aware that your nexus will not be as secure as it might look.

Sent from my Nexus 7, using my new keyboard case!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 05:38:12 PM by ssschultz »

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
Re: I Need a keyboard
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
This Scosche BTKB freeKEY Bluetooth Mini Keyboard got a favorable review on TWIT TV.  They put it in a sink and washed it.  Their only con was it was hard to type on if you have big fingers or long fingernails.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:55:34 AM »
Great thread guys. A lot of great info. Appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I took a look at this on Amazon, which is the same I think as the one suggested on Ebay. 
http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Keyboard-Compatible-Blackberry-PlayBook/dp/B008U4PLLG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Well reviewed and I like the look of it, but it lacks an automatic on/off feature which I like in my Moko Slimfit.  I’m leaning away from Bluetooth right now.  I just don’t want to carry any more gear than is necessary.  I think I’m zeroing in on what I need.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
erm...thats the same one as I purchased but I only paid 9 bux -- the case is humongous compared to the Moko, which I also use.  The keyboard is small but functional and the N7 will slip around unless you put some rubber padding in behind.  You will need an OTG cable to change the standard USB 2 connector into the microUSB.  You can also use a hub and connect a mouse, flash memory, etc all at the same time but charging as well will require root and a special kernal addin.

check around at links like this one and its alternates:
http://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Stand-USB-Keyboard-Carrying/dp/B004OB0EBQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355886093&sr=1-4&keywords=nexus+7+keyboard+case

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
As stated earlier, I had a problem using an OTG cable to attach my USB Keyboard.  Since I've been reading a thread on Amazon about using Stickmount to solve this problem.  Of course Stickmount comes in two varieties, Root and Factory(that may not be right), and I don't want to mess with rooting, at least not right now.  This is all a bit confusing, but will the "factory" Stickmount help with this?  I'm going to try tonight.  Chip in with any tips or your own experience.

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »
As stated earlier, I had a problem using an OTG cable to attach my USB Keyboard.  Since I've been reading a thread on Amazon about using Stickmount to solve this problem.  Of course Stickmount comes in two varieties, Root and Factory(that may not be right), and I don't want to mess with rooting, at least not right now.  This is all a bit confusing, but will the "factory" Stickmount help with this?  I'm going to try tonight.  Chip in with any tips or your own experience.

For a unmodified n7, you use Nexus Media Importer which only gives READ-ONLY access to media type files - you CAN stream music or video to the player of your choice from NMI only.  Other apps can not see the usb storage.

For a rooted n7 you can use stickmount which allows normal read write access for any and all file types once the memory is mounted AND some apps can be loaded/run from the mounted storage.  All apps can see the storage.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »
Like Troutz said Stickmount is a root only app.  Media Importer can be used for stock devices.  You can try the photo version of the app for free just to check it out and get a feel for it. Read no write.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
It looks like I might be on the wrong track. I'm just trying to find something that will help my n7 recognize my keyboard.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
To address your keyboard question, I would suggest trying a different OTG cable, as it is reported that some OTG cables have issues and fail to work correctly. Also if you are using a feature keyboard, try a plain Jane keyboard.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to Be Productive

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »
USB Keyboards and Mice are recognized by the built in I/O of the Nexus 7.  All you need is a functional OTG adapter.
I have and use adapters from the 1st 2 links- they work fine.

OTG adapters are cheap - buy several of each type and you won't need to worry about it.  Also purchasing a powered hub will help with the N7 battery longevity.  Everything will work at the same time once plugged into the OTG adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1356214760&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Micro-B-Male-Adapter-Connector/dp/B006480A2A/ref=sr_1_45?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1356214954&sr=1-45

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-A-female-to-micro-5-pin-male-Extension-left-angled-90-degree-adapter-New-/271103307462?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f1f042ec6
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:28:34 PM by Bigtroutz »

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
I have some news to report.  After a bit  trial and a lot of error I have gotten my flexible keyboard to work.  This is my first attempt at using it.  I actually got my "plain Jane" keyboard to work first so I gave this one last shot.  One difference I noted was that this keyboard worked only if I plugged it into the adapter first and then plug the adapter into my N7 my plain Janes keyboard worked no matter how I plugged it in , so that maybe why I have trouble with this 1 in the first place.

conclusions:

1.  My adapter works just fine.
2. My Flex keyboard also works
3.  I don't much like my flex keyboard.
4. I think I'll use the Google Voice for general purposes. I've actually switched over to Google Voice because I've become more comfortable using it lately. If I could toggle back and forth between using Google Voice and a physical keyboard I would , but it doesn't look like I can. I'm not sure the N7 it's cracked up to be real word processor. I think I'll have to hang on to my laptop.

Those are my thoughts on this subject. Thanks for nursing me through this. I've gained a little experience in using a micro USB adapter and that is bound to pay off later on.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:09:01 AM by paxham »

Offline javman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
the nexus 7 is simply need compatible gadged like this one http://www.uplaytablet.com/nexus-7-keyboard-cover-nexus-7-bluetooth-keyboard-leatherette-folio-case-from-uplay-white-label-49-99-2/ , without sacrifice the compability of gadged, its mobile and style...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman