March 28, 2024, 10:56:45 AM

collapse

Author Topic: IDC: Android Tablets To Overtake iPad In 2013  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
IDC: Android Tablets To Overtake iPad In 2013
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »

Well it's happened.  Leading research firm IDC is predicting that Android tablets like the Nexus 7 will overtake the iPad to garner a larger percentage of tablet sales in 2013.  Granted the iPad isn't going to disappear but it is expected to get 46% of tablet sales this year, down from 51% last.  Android tablets on the other hand have grown from 42% last year to a combined 49% this year.

Credited with this Android success are smaller tablets such as the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire.  In fact IDC says: 

"One in every two tablets shipped this quarter was below 8 inches in screen size. And in terms of shipments, we expect smaller tablets to continue growing in 2013 and beyond," IDC said in a press release.

IDC also raised its total estimates of tablets to be shipped in 2013 to $190.9 million from a previous estimate of 172.4 million.  This is a huge increase over last year's 128.3 million and 2011's 72 million. 

This bodes well for the Nexus 7 as IDC sees smaller tablet sales gaining steam at the expense of larger 10 inch+ tablets.  With the pending introduction of a 2nd generation Nexus 7 at Google I/O in a couple of month's time this should only further increase the Nexus 7's popularity.  While the iPad Mini is certainly a success for Apple, it appears the open Android ecosystem is just too much competition for Cupertino to fend off. The Nexus 7 is slowly cementing itself as a mainstay of the tablet world and we're happy to be part of it at Nexus7Forum.com

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: IDC: Android Tablets To Overtake iPad In 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Not surprising.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
:D

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
I find it interesting that small tablets sales are up when it seems like large phone sales are rising as well. I mean these new phones coming out are tablets. Will the cannibalize each others sales? 

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:05 AM »
I just keep waiting for the Android market to really catch on in corporate point of sale technology.  If they can weasel into the monopoly that the fruits have there, then there's no stopping.

Sent From my Razr Maxx(W.K.Y.A.98.72.16.XT912.v3.4-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
... I told ya so.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
I find it interesting that small tablets sales are up when it seems like large phone sales are rising as well. I mean these new phones coming out are tablets. Will the cannibalize each others sales? 

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

This is a good observation and something i've though of as well.  I think we're heading in the direction of people having one phone/tablet with phone capability on them at all times...they will range from 5-8 inches in size depending on a person's particular taste.  I actually think in the future Cellular capable Nexus 7s and similiar tablets will be the most popular like the Galaxy Note 8 that has phone capability as well.  If you have a phone capable 7 or 8 inch tablet with a bluetooth earpiece there's no reason to have a dedicated phone anymore.   Maybe the 5 inch phone/phablet is the sweet spot for now that we're seeing like the HTC One and the Galaxy S 4 with 1920 x 1080 resolution.  I think the 'Nexus 5' will also have a 1920 x 1080 screen and that will probably be the standard smartphone screen size going forward.  But for those that like having a larger screen I can see a Nexus 7 with full cellular capability being made available when the 2nd or 3rd generation comes out.   I could pretty much ditch my phone then and have my N7 with me.   Perhaps I would buy a cheap feature phone tied to the same # for those times when I just want to be reached by phone but don't have room for a tablet. 

Another thought I've had is that when flexible or collapsible screen technology is mature enough we could have a phone/tablet that could be both small and large depending on configuration.  Imagine a 5th generation Nexus 7 that is shaped like a roll up tube that has a flexible screen 'rolled up' inside of it.  In normal mode it's a thick pen like shape that can be used as a phone and slides into your pocket.  Pull out the flexible screen and it now becomes a 7 inch tablet, similar to those home movie screens that roll up into a metal container.    When you're done using the large screen it simply retracts right back into the 'tube' and it's just a thin phone again.   
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline kyea67

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
I believe that a lot a reason for this is because jelly bean is the first Android version that actually got it right.  Before jelly bean, we had a lot of bugs. Now a lot of features on Android are better then what you would find on the iOS. I expect this trend to continue.  If you couple that with the fact that all iDevices are lockdown on iTunes a lot of people don't like that.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:31 AM »
I really don't like the phablet craze, personally I think people look as silly holding a phablet to there ear as much so as somebody taking a picture with a 7" or worse still a 10" tablet. Yes okay so if your using a 7" tab as your phone you probably aren't going to hold the device to your ear instead you'll probably use a BT earpiece but I just don't see it as practical. I can take my N4 everywhere but not my N7, I want something to go in my trouser pocket, not my jacket which I don't wear in the summer even here in the UK...
Also, my Nexus 4 has a 4.7" screen and anything bigger I'd either need a thumb extension or change the way I use my device holding it with my left hand and typing with my index finger of my right hand, personally I don't like the idea of that or think it's practical.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more. I love my Nexus 7. The size is just right. But whereas in cold weather I could take it everywhere with me in my coat pocket, in shirt sleeve weather carrying it around is a nuisance.

What is needed is a tablet case you could attach to your belt like you do with a phone. Holding the nexus 7 horizontally in a belt pouch (or even vertically like the pouch I used for my HPLX) should be easy enough to design and beats carrying it manually or in "messenger bag".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »
Step daughter turns 18 this month. She wants a mini. Go figure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JayJ

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 02:13:01 AM »
There's no helping some people.... lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline LeoRex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
Of course she does...  she's in Apple's demographic wheelhouse