2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Help

Google Map Download

(1/2) > >>

kyoo:
Anyone have a solution for navigation/downloading the whole US Map? I'd like to use this for traveling next month - right now the GPS can't find me in my apartment (they never can) but for some reason it won't download the map portions - why can't we just download the whole map???

comiskeybum:
You can only download one 60 square mile box at a time.

comiskeybum:
I hope everyone realizes that just because you cache an area on the map does not mean you will be able to search for places or use turn by turn navigation.  Those features still need a data connection to work.

The idea behind cache map data is to for example you are out camping and your phone or tablet has no data connection, you can still use the map to see exactly where you are and where you are going just like a standard Garmin GPS handheld. 

Also, you cannot cache satellite mode as that file would be huge with all the detail.  You can only cache the standard map layer as far as i know.  I have not tried topographical yet. 

kyoo:

--- Quote from: comiskeybum on July 19, 2012, 11:20:18 AM ---I hope everyone realizes that just because you cache an area on the map does not mean you will be able to search for places or use turn by turn navigation.  Those features still need a data connection to work.

The idea behind cache map data is to for example you are out camping and your phone or tablet has no data connection, you can still use the map to see exactly where you are and where you are going just like a standard Garmin GPS handheld. 

Also, you cannot cache satellite mode as that file would be huge with all the detail.  You can only cache the standard map layer as far as i know.  I have not tried topographical yet.

--- End quote ---

i thought you can do turn by turn with the  nexus?

Drew:
With Navfree app, could you download your map with wifi off (GPS on) and then get turn by turn directions?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiY29tLm5hdmZyZWUuYW5kcm9pZC5PU00uVVNBIl0.

Also, can you download additional map cache after you do the first one and just select a different square?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version