March 28, 2024, 02:19:48 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Google Map Download  (Read 3936 times)

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Google Map Download
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:20 AM »
Anyone have a solution for navigation/downloading the whole US Map? I'd like to use this for traveling next month - right now the GPS can't find me in my apartment (they never can) but for some reason it won't download the map portions - why can't we just download the whole map???

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Google Map Download
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:47 AM »
You can only download one 60 square mile box at a time.
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
I hope everyone realizes that just because you cache an area on the map does not mean you will be able to search for places or use turn by turn navigation.  Those features still need a data connection to work.

The idea behind cache map data is to for example you are out camping and your phone or tablet has no data connection, you can still use the map to see exactly where you are and where you are going just like a standard Garmin GPS handheld. 

Also, you cannot cache satellite mode as that file would be huge with all the detail.  You can only cache the standard map layer as far as i know.  I have not tried topographical yet. 

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »
I hope everyone realizes that just because you cache an area on the map does not mean you will be able to search for places or use turn by turn navigation.  Those features still need a data connection to work.

The idea behind cache map data is to for example you are out camping and your phone or tablet has no data connection, you can still use the map to see exactly where you are and where you are going just like a standard Garmin GPS handheld. 

Also, you cannot cache satellite mode as that file would be huge with all the detail.  You can only cache the standard map layer as far as i know.  I have not tried topographical yet.

i thought you can do turn by turn with the  nexus?

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
With Navfree app, could you download your map with wifi off (GPS on) and then get turn by turn directions?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiY29tLm5hdmZyZWUuYW5kcm9pZC5PU00uVVNBIl0.

Also, can you download additional map cache after you do the first one and just select a different square?

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline comiskeybum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
You can download as many "squares" as you want.

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
You can download as many "squares" as you want.

so you can download the whole usa, you just have to do it piece by piece?

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
I know in the prior "lab" version you could only download 10 squares, areas, pieces,  and the cached map expired after 30 days.

Haven't had time to verify in JB tho'. 
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
I just don't think offline maps are ready for prime time.  I wanted to run the Torque app & have offline maps available for GPS navigation.  It looks like it's a no-go.  if I toggle out of Torque, I can't go back to it without a new startup.  That means taking my attention off the road, or stopping. Ugh.  At least Torque never puts the N7 to sleep.  Maps does.

If I stay in offline maps, I have to take my attention from driving to move the map to follow my gps icon.  And if I don't do that, the N7 goes to sleep.  The maximum no-sleep display setting is 30 minutes, so I'm hosed.  I guess I'm keeping my GPS navi system, after all.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
This should help for keeping it awake, as long as you're charging while in the car:
Settings -> Developer Options -> Toggle Developer Options "On" at the top -> Check "Stay Awake"

Edit: Also - hearing good reviews on Navfree/Navfree USA.  Haven't tried it out myself yet, but planning to since its free.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:09:06 PM by frank »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts