April 19, 2024, 04:07:36 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Reuters Reports 2nd Generation Nexus 7 Coming By July  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Reuters Reports 2nd Generation Nexus 7 Coming By July
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:50 AM »

Reuters is reporting via an unnamed source that Google will launch a 2nd generation Nexus 7 by July of this year and it will feature a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU rather than an Nvidia Tegra chip.  The new 7 inch tablet will also feature a higher resolution screen and thinner bezel.  According to the source the company decided to go with the Snapdragon over the Tegra because of improved power management. 

Further information gleamed from the source is that Google plans on selling up to 8 million units of the Nexus 7 in the 2nd half of this year, almost double the 4.6 million sold during the same period last year.  The company plans to aggressively price the 2nd generation Nexus 7 and might offer the new tablet at the same $199 price point while dropping the original Nexus 7 to a new lower price.  Alternately, the company is reportedly also considering selling the new Nexus 7 at a price of $149 and discontinuing the old model outright. 

While Google has apparently not decided on the pricing strategy as of yet, analysts think that Google will use a 'zero margin strategy' in order to get as many mobile devices into consumers hands as possible.   The company makes 97% of its income from advertising and the more eyes and fingers it can get on mobile devices like the Nexus 7 the better.  Asustek will continue to be Google's hardware partner on the 2nd generation Nexus 7 according to the source.  It is widely believed that Google plans to introduce the 2nd generation Nexus 7 during the Google I/O conference this coming May.  A release of the tablet in July as suggested in this report would go along with that timeline. 

Reuters

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline LeoRex

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reuters Reports 2nd Generation Nexus 7 Coming By July
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »
They'll sell a ton... top tablet, lowest price.  That's hard to compete against

Sent from my SCH-I200

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:55:58 AM »
I have stated that I would probably skip the 2nd generation Nexus 7, but I will have to admit that a 2nd generation with improved performance and a better screen priced at $149 US would be hard to resist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
Ill be buying one just because of how darn cheap these things are compared to any other tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
I think I'll skip the second gen, this Nexus 7 should last me a while longer but it pains me to say that....

I wanted Tegra 4...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
If it is really less money and better ..I need a new one to replace mine. She is getting really beat up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline donaldjl

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Better and less expensive?  Sign me up.  I'll hand my current over to my daughter.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
I'll be all over it, even if it's more expensive.  I goofed by buying the 8Gb model this time around but I can hold off 'til July.  I'll be jumping on the list to buy as soon as it's available!  I just hope they do a better job of 'distribution' (getting them out to the consumer) then they did with the N4!

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »
I bought an N7-8, N7-16, & refurbished N7-32, each for $199, as N7 prices dropped.  I think I'll wait until prices drop before I buy a 2G N7

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.5 mpg over 42k miles in  Scion xB)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:19:00 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline BODIDDLY

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
Ok, going to sound ill-informed, but will I know if and when this happens.....other than this forum?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman