April 18, 2024, 03:26:17 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Poor battery life aargh  (Read 6796 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Poor battery life aargh
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
If still having problems..
Second hand. I would definitely do a factory reset. It will be like taking it fresh out of the box. Who knows what was installed by the last owner unless you know first hand. You will lose your data and have to reinstall apps but when you have a problem like this it isn't the worst thing. It makes it easier to troubleshoot adding a few apps back at a time. If you have any documents or things that you need I would save them either in the cloud or on a PC and just start fresh.
Factory reset. in Settings menu /Backup and Reset/ reset tablet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline emmellar

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »
Matt.....Not quite.... WiFi and mobile signal off but still awake in sleep mode and wake lock not showing anything up that matches the durations of waking??.....

Bjs229..... I have reset it so many times when flashing roms but no difference.  Is that the same thing?

Anyone know what the two main services that are running are?  I don't have Google talk installed and why would connectivity services be running???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:11:23 PM by emmellar »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 04:19:22 PM »
I use the stock ROM but I am not sure if adding a customROM wipes your whole device like a system reset. A reset brings you back to the last update totally clean . might be worth a try if you are backed up ..you can always flash a backup in recovery.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »
Looks like your wifi was staying on until you started charging. No, I was seeing it wrong, let the graph reset after a day. Did you st wifi while asleep to 'never', or 'only when charging'?

You're already ahead of me on the wakelocks, is gtalk implemented as part of google +?
Connectivety,I'm guessing, has to do with wifi update syncs. Double check locale and maps for location reporting sync.Try disabling google+ temporarily.  I've disabled 'currents', no loss.

Looks like the (x523) numbers are iterations of each wakelock?  What we need is a big red button that puts the tablet to sleep!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:35:01 PM by matt »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Quoted by Matt
Looks like your wifi was staying on until you started charging. No, I was seeing it wrong, let the graph reset after a day. Did you st wifi while asleep to 'never', or 'only when charging'?

You're already ahead of me on the wakelocks, is gtalk implemented as part of google +?
Connectivety,I'm guessing, has to do with wifi update syncs. Double check locale and maps for location reporting sync.Try disabling google+ temporarily.  I've disabled 'currents', no loss.

Looks like the (x523) numbers are iterations of each wakelock?  What we need is a big red button that puts the tablet to sleep!
I use GVoice  a lot.It is a separate app.I believe Google messenger is part of G+.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:36:37 PM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Doesn't airplane mode pretty much put it to sleep?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
Airplane just shuts off radios. Other events, like alarms, or media servers and indexing or other background programs can still keep it from true sleep.

I'm playing with 'power toggles widget' a customizable  control set on the home screen. One of the toggles I have set to lock the screen and turn off wakelocks. The 3g toggle may work, can't try it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:54:32 AM by matt »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
The way I look at it.
I let WiFi run 24/7.BT speaker is on. GPS on.screen set to minimum viewing comfortability. I run videos constantly in the background when in bed and I get a good 7 hours or so before I need to plug in. Struggling for juice with this thing like it is a first generation smartphone points to some sort of issue. Usually not hardware.
From what I  have read , When there are screwy readings or unusual hidden apps or processes running it usually means it it time for a factory reset to calibrate things and start anew.
Google Now cards use up some battery as well. I have quite a few of them. Not sure how often they sync. Widgets.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:38:39 PM by bjs229 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
When I say reset I mean wipe everything and go back to stock. This is one of the reasons I don't install a bunch of different Roms. Remnants happen sometimes and screw things up behind your back. Then you need to know how to start from a clean green slate.
When you bought it second hand was it from a store or a CL type of thing ? Was it reset to stock when you bought it? Meaning did you have to go thru the setup wizard?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:30:19 PM by bjs229 »

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
7 hours with wifi? I'm lucky to get 3. Time to hook up a new router! It may be resyncing too much. Thx bjs.

Yesss 4ft. from router and dropped 2% in 1 hour with wifi on. Almost like there's a low power mode with a strong enough signal.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:46:41 PM by matt »

Offline emmellar

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »
Thanks for all comments.  It was bought privately and was stock.  It was reset in front of me before handing over.

OK here I am now with following setup.  System panel pro to check usage, airplane mode on to switch off cell signal and WiFi then turned on to give me back my web access, all and I mean all notifications turned off as I am not a heavy social app user.  Things are definitely better but I'll run it a couple of days and post back results.  Just about everything related to Google has been turned off because if find it far too intrusive.  All that is left is Google play!

By the away I use the xenonhd ROM and I have to say it is really really good.  Very stable, very fast and very professionally finished.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Were you noticing these same battery problems when you first ran the  stock ROM?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:38:10 AM by bjs229 »

Offline LeoRex

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
Nope...  ours is bone stock and it has really good life.  It sips power when off and really only burns through a charge if my daughter gets hog wild with games.  It has burned through a charge once or twice, but that was a runaway process that did it.

Sent from my SCH-I200

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts