April 18, 2024, 02:24:03 AM

collapse

Author Topic: T-Mobile Tethering Between Google Nexus 4 And Nexus 7  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Jim1348

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
T-Mobile Tethering Between Google Nexus 4 And Nexus 7
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
I have been a T-Mobile customer for quite a while now, but I have never really paid much attention to tethering. My plan is:

Even More Plus 750 Talk + Unlimited Text
• 750 whenever minutes
• Unlimited weekend minutes
• Unlimited weeknight minutes
• Preferred Android Web

I got a Google Asus Nexus 7 for Christmas and I just bought a Google LG Nexus 4 recently. Anyway, now that I have been using both of them I have been wondering about tethering when I am not within wifi range for the Nexus 7. I seem to recall reading that tethering can be an issue. I called T-Mobile to add tethering, but they wanted to change my whole plan.

Anyway, when or if I decide to tether, what is the best way to do it? Should I select:

-Bluetooth Tethering
-Wifi Tethering
-USB Tethering

I suspect that tethering via USB is always going to be faster than either Bluetooth or Wifi, isn't it? Also, if I am in an area of poor wifi, can I use a phone as a "repeater"? For example, can I place my phone in an area and receive wi-fi and then send data via Bluetooth to my Nexus 7? Or, is wi-fi to wi-fi tethering possible?

Also, with regards to battery life, I assume that either Bluetooth or wifi tethering will use more power than USB tethering. I suppose if I connect a charger it won't matter.

What about range with Bluetooth vs. wi-fi? I seem to recall reading that wi-fi range is better than Bluetooth. Is Bluetooth only allow a range of 20 or 30 feet and wifi perhaps 150 feet or is that way off?

What cable(s) do I need for wired tethering? Since both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 use micro USB, do I simply need a cable with micro USB connectors on each end or do I need something more? Also, are these cables easy to find at MicroCenter, Best Buy, or Radio Shack?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:12:30 AM by Jim1348 »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: T-Mobile Tethering Between Google Nexus 4 And Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
Actually I found the easiest way for me is with wifi hotspot. You set up your personal wifi network. You may be able to do that without your carrier even noticing. Mine doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
IMHO tethering with a wire takes away from the whole portability thing. I use an app on my phone for hotspot. Look into Open Garden which is free or Foxfi to start...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:23:54 AM by bjs229 »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »
This is one of the most insignificant flame wars. I can't stand Open Garden! My vote goes to Wi-Fi Tether. But that requires root. But hey, more than one way to skin a cat.

Sent from my CM10.1 Nexus 7

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
The only reason I mention Open Garden is because it was the only one I could get to stay connected using my cell phone. Why do you hate it and how is this a flame war?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
From what I have experienced, tethering to your mobile device is dependent on your hardware and ROM on both devices , therefore your tethering app has to mate your devices, therefore we do not have a one solution fits all.

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
From what I have experienced, tethering to your mobile device is dependent on your hardware and ROM on both devices , therefore your tethering app has to mate your devices, therefore we do not have a one solution fits all.

Amen.

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
Shouldn't be any need for a standalone tethering application to tether a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 via Wi-Fi hotspot unless your provider can see this being done or it's disabled by the carrier/provider.

As bjs stated, USB tethering takes the whole mobile experience away and a Wi-Fi hotspot it's far superior to Bluetooth.

I am unaware of any way to use the phone as a repeater or anything else, just open the "Settings" of your Nexus 4, go to "More" and "Tethering & portable hotspot", "Set up Wi-Fi hotspot" and enter a password in the field provided. Now go back and tick the check box for Portable Wi-Fi hotspot...
Your now ready to tether, just open the Wi-Fi settings in your Nexus 7, search and enter password as you would any other Wi-Fi service.

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts