March 28, 2024, 09:36:46 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 4 To Nexus 7 Tethering  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Jim1348

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Nexus 4 To Nexus 7 Tethering
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
I currently have both a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7.  I am on T-Mobile for the Nexus 4 and although my Nexus 7 is a cellular version, I typically just use wifi.  Later this year my family and I will be camping at Mille Lacs Kathio State Park in central Minnesota.  Typically, we have some T-Mobile service, but it is 2G, at best.  So, I might be inclined to get a pre-paid SIM card for that trip.  If I understand things correctly, I could put the SIM card in the Nexus 4 and tether to the Nexus 7 or vice-versa.  Anyway, which would be preferable or would it even matter?  I am inclined to things that simply getting service on the Nexus 7 would be preferable and then  other family members could tether from the Nexus 7 and if I left the area, I would still have my Nexus 4 with me.  At least, I am ASSUMING that there are pre-paid SIM service available for tablets.  Anyway, what people here do it the way I suggested or is there some reason to get pre-paid service on the NExus 4 and tether to that?  Oh, and on a side note, I do have an extra phone or two to insert my existing T-Mobile SIM card in, if that matters. 

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 4 To Nexus 7 Tethering
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:55 AM »
Cant you just use one of the phones as a hotspot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 4 To Nexus 7 Tethering
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:13:52 PM »
I'm assuming that if your phone is not getting any coverage, then chances are slim that a prepaid GSM SIM will be of any benefit. The radio in the Nexus 4 should pick up any signal that is available either TDMA or GSM. If you revert the kernel, you might be able to reactivate the LTE band as well. Since the radio in the N4 is superior, I think your best bet is to get coverage with the phone for tethering. I would check with the carriers in that area and verify that you have roaming privileges on their network if yours is not available. If not, then this topic might be better suited in the N4 forum. Maybe our members there have more information on the prepaid compatibility.

Sent from my CM10.1 Nexus 7

Offline Jim1348

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Nexus 4 To Nexus 7 Tethering
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  I should have specified that I have T-Mobile now, BUT I would likely get a pre-paid SIM card for an AT&T MVNO. 

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman