April 19, 2024, 01:53:01 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Newbbie syncing Contacts & Calender from Outlook?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Old Nick

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Newbbie syncing Contacts & Calender from Outlook?
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:02:59 AM »
Is it possible to sync all my contacts and calender from MS Outlook?  I have this info duplicated on a Blackberry mobile phone if that helps!  All assistance would be appreciated.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Newbbie syncing Contacts & Calender from Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:39:14 AM »
For a true synchronization experience you have three choices, the Google Cloud, a third party application, and hosted exchange. Each has advantages and disadvantages, so it is up to the individual to decide.

Google Cloud has the Outlook sync provided by Google, but it is up to you if you want to trust Google with all of your information. On your device contacts and calendar are shown in the Google app. No direct connection between PC and Android devices are required.

Third party apps are purchased from Google Play and have varying results. Each device has to be corrected directly to the PC to sync with Outlook.

Exchange hosting is my choice and seamlessly syncs Outlook email, contacts, calendar, and notes with all of your Android devices. Notably exchange is the most costly option, but you get true synchronization without having to connect your devices to your PC.

For and initial transfer of contacts you can export from Outlook as vcards and import those into your Android device, but your question was about synchronization.

If you are looking for a similar BlackBerry experience, I fear that you will be disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:41:16 AM by S.Prime »
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Old Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
Many thanks for your concise reply.  I might have to get my local guru to give help with your ideas - Thanks again

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
Third party apps are purchased from Google Play and have varying results. Each device has to be corrected directly to the PC to sync with Outlook.

Could you expand on this option? What do you consider the best apps for syncing via a home wlan? I've used MyPhoneExplorer and ES File Explorer. Both work fine but are manual syncs. Is there an app that would automatically sync with my pc whenever the nexus 7 connects to my wlan (like I think Google sync does)?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I took a cursory look at Google Play and found the same complaints and problems that I experienced almost 2 years ago, when I was attempting to find a sync solution, but I do not say that that is across the board. My sync frustration let me to take my company to the exchange solution, but that was based on a business need. Google would prefer that you use their cloud, so they have no desire to create a reliable conduit to Microsoft's Outlook, so in my opinion, 3rd party apps are trying to connect opposite ends of the spectrum with no help from either source. Their are apps that claim to sync over WiFi and they may succeed, but plan on some frustration. If anyone has found an app that provides reliable synchronization between the Nexus tablet and Outlook, I ask that they share it.

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks prime.

What exactly is "exchange"? Is it any more private than Google's cloud?

I'm going to look into something called" ownCloud" which can be installed on your website if you have one or on a windows pc. Sort of like a private cloud. Not sure how well it works.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Exchange email is hosted email provided by a private source using a server running Microsoft Exchange Server software. As an example I use GoDaddy's hosted exchange, which is very private and secure. Exchange provides total synchronization of email, contacts, calendar, and notes over pc, tablet, and mobile phone. For example if I change a contact on my phone at a client site, it is changed instantly on all devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
Thank you again.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts