March 28, 2024, 06:26:00 AM

collapse

Author Topic: New nexus 7 at Google i/o  (Read 2841 times)

Offline engineer

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New nexus 7 at Google i/o
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
Has there been anything mentioned about the rumored new nexus 7 at the Google I/O?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

Re: New nexus 7 at Google i/o
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
No, I/O revealed no new hardware and no update to the Android OS...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline engineer

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Darn!
I wanted that next nexus 7!
Ah well. I'll survive.
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
I'm sure there will be news on it soon...

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »
There's rumors that the Google edition S4 is a trial to possibly move into a carrier branded "Nexus like" experience. Hopefully we still see the Nexus brand survive.

Sent from my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
I've been 'reading the tea leaves' a bit about when I expect a new Nexus 7 to be introduced and I'm pretty sure it's going to be next month, July with August shipping.  Why you ask?  Here's my reasoning...

At the just completed Computex Conference this week, Asus introduced their new 7 inch Android tablet, the Memo Pad HD 7 which is basically a Nexus 7 with a 5mp rear camera and Micro SD slot added onto it but for a price of only $129 for the 8GB and $149 for 16GB. 

Now here's the kicker.  Asus has said this new tablet will be available to purchase starting in AUGUST.  Why is this important?  Well since Asus makes the Nexus 7 for Google there is simply no way that Google would be ok with Asus selling a competing tablet so similar to the Nexus 7 with improved specs for LESS than the Nexus 7.   

So I predict that before Asus is allowed to start selling the Memo Pad HD7 we will see a new Nexus 7 introduced with 'next generation' specs like we've discussed before...1080p screen, Snapdragon 600 or better processor, rear camera, possibly HDMI built-in, thinner/lighter/sleeker design.   We probably still won't see a Micro SD but that's the norm with Nexus devices.   

One last point.  Just noticed that on Google Play today they are pushing the Nexus 7 in a 'dads and grads' promotion.   I see this as the 'last push' for the current generation Nexus 7 and we will see the new one before the new school year starts in late August/early September.

Again...this all goes to my prediction of a July Introduction and August availability for the 2nd generation Nexus 7.

Your thoughts gents and mademoiselles?

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
That's a good argument there BFM, could happen but are we going to be seeing a true 2nd Gen Nexus 7 or like the phones, Nexus Experience tablets?
I'm probably way off here but the Nexus Experience or Google Experience looks to be a new direction for Google. With the Nexus Experience Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One and now the possibility of a Nexus Experience Sony Xperia Z, what are the possibilities of a Nexus Experience Tablet?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
I hear what you're saying JayJ but Google specifically mentioned during Google I/O that the Nexus program is still an important thing for them and that we'll see future Nexus devices.  I also don't think tablets are quite as mature a product category yet as phones so I'm not sure if a Nexus Experience tablet program would work yet.  Perhaps in another generation or two of devices.  I'm also not convinced that just because Google is having competing handsets with pure android on them that it means we won't see another Nexus phone.  We've yet to see a Nexus phone with 1080p resolution...I think that's coming.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Nexus 5 or Nexus 4, 2nd generation announced at the same time as a Nexus 7 2nd generation...both with 1080p. 

I do think that within the next two generations of devices...both phones and tablets that we'll reach a point, similar with PCs today...where there really isn't too much benefit in having more horsepower...ie...faster chips inside.  I think the real development will be more in the software, sensors, backend etc.  I mean once you've got a quad or octacore chip and a camera with say 13mp and low light ability...does faster faster or more megapixels even matter?   What will companies do to differentiate their products once even the cheapo chinese imported phones and tablets are oozing with cpu horsepower?  Maybe we'll see gold plated or diamond studded phones and tablets...or ones made of leather LOL  It'll be interesting to see what companies can do to differentiate their goods.

On a serious note I actually think one way that companies plan to differentiate their hardware is through their content offerings.  It's one of the reasons we see companies like Amazon and Netflix and now Microsoft making original programming and movies.  Eventually I see Google and Apple joining that too.  Want to see the new hot tv show or movie?  If it's only available on Google Play...you'll have to have an Android device to watch.  Same goes with Apple.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we see Apple and Google and Microsoft each snapping up a movie studio/tv network.   If you want to see the next Star Wars...better own an Android...but maybe Apple will buy up Warner Brothers and Batman... etc

Anyway...interesting discussion and perhaps I got a bit off topic on this thread.  I might move it to the lounge.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I am looking at Google positioning its self in the market as a challenge to the Apple iPad Mini 2 with the Nexus 7.2 and may well concede the lower end of the 7" tablet market to Asus, HP, and other companies entering the market with $169 US and lower priced 7" tablets. This move would allow Google to preserve the $249 US point and produce a tablet with the technology to compete with the Mini 2. Considering Apple's decision to delay the Mini 2 in favor of the new iPad, should mean a Mini 2 release in time for the Christmas buying season and one that could be countered by Google's Nexus 7.2. In the US we are already seeing retailers like Walmart offering gift cards with Nexus 7 purchases, which I see as a move to reduce inventory in preparation for the next Nexus 7. If this strategy actually emerges, I think we will see the Nexus 7.2 in the September to early November range and it will be a win win situation for the Nexus market and assurance that Google will continue to grow the Nexus line of devices.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Good analysis S. Prime. 

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman