March 28, 2024, 09:42:32 AM

collapse

Author Topic: What do you use YOUR Nexus 7 for?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
What do you use YOUR Nexus 7 for?
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
After the initial oohs and ahhs and toying with various things on your Nexus 7, what has it settled down to serve as for you?

Frankly, I'm struggling to find many uses for this guy. I've got a desktop and two laptops, and I thought the laptops would never be turned on again after I received it, but that hasn't happened yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:27:31 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use YOUR Nexus 7 for?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
Good question Kyoo!    I've been using it as an awesome organization and brainstorming tool.  I use 'Evernote' and I love how the Nexus 7 and my HTC EVO 4G LTE are automatically synced with all my ideas available at the push of a button.   Intead of lugging my laptop around I can take my Nexus 7 when I drive out of the city (NY, where I live) and head up to some places I go upstate to brainstorm and get fresh air.  I also take it to Central Park and can sit and enter ideas into it and when I want to take a break I can use it as an e-reader...or play a game...or watch a video.   It's like having 4 devices in one in a way.  I've also been getting into the game 'Dead Trigger' which really shows off the graphics abilities of the Nexus 7.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline trainerKEN

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
Mostly for browsing, I belong to several Internet forums, interests from cars, to photography to fitness forums, so I'm fairly active online. And to watch movies with especially while doing cardio at the gym

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
- Web browsing because its wayyyy faster than my netbook

- Reading magazines and books

- Serves as my main music player

Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
70% eBooks. 30% web and email.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
I have an astronomy app that lets me replace my star charts.  I can also point it at any area of the sky, and it shows me the stars, constellations, and deep sky targets in that part of the sky.

My N7 also replaces my birding field identification guides.  I can pull up side-by-side illustrations of two similar species, look at their range maps, read about their behavior, and play their songs, to identify the one I'm looking at.

I was hoping to replace my gps navigation device with an offline maps application, but I don't think any of them are up to the task yet.

Last, I use Ultra-Gauge and Scangauge for hypermiling.  The Android Torque app replaces them handily, with prettier, larger displays.

Web browsing has been something of a disappointment, because screen displays are small, and typing on the touch screen is a PITA.  The N7's voice recognition may end up saving me some time if I dictate posts, instead of typing them.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline LovelyLush

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:23:16 AM »
Reading, Netflix, email, Facebook. I'll use it as an alarm clock & music source once they put out a charging dock.

It replaced my slow rooted Nook Color, so I use it for the same things I used that for. I love it.

Offline coolbreeze

• Popularity: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
Using my N7 for Gmail, text, and video chat (Tablet Talk,Thanks Conord) keeping up on forums, and Netflix. Blown away by how well Netflix works on this tablet and how great this little screen is for watching video. The last three days I have spent my free time viewing the History channels America series. That is why I have been missing around here lately. If you have not seen this series you should. Gives a great background on who we are and how this great country came to be what it is today. I am loving it.

Razr Maxx , Nexus 7

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
Good question Kyoo!    I've been using it as an awesome organization and brainstorming tool.  I use 'Evernote' and I love how the Nexus 7 and my HTC EVO 4G LTE are automatically synced with all my ideas available at the push of a button.   Intead of lugging my laptop around I can take my Nexus 7 when I drive out of the city (NY, where I live) and head up to some places I go upstate to brainstorm and get fresh air.  I also take it to Central Park and can sit and enter ideas into it and when I want to take a break I can use it as an e-reader...or play a game...or watch a video.   It's like having 4 devices in one in a way.  I've also been getting into the game 'Dead Trigger' which really shows off the graphics abilities of the Nexus 7.

Yeah, the Nexus 7 has really replaced my laptop, It's the first thing I reach for when I'm home, because it's so damned fast (much faster than my dual core laptop). When I'm going mobile (I too live in NY), I watch movies, read books, browse the web, play games (LOVE Dead Trigger as well). I had a Kindle Fire before this, and I used it the same way as I'm using my Nexus 7, but man do I love the freedom of the Nexus 7, it's world is way more open than the Kindle Fire which runs on a modified Android system.

I guess it really is "to each their own", but for me, I don't think the newness of the Nexus 7 will wear off on me. I use it constantly, wheras the closed world of the Kindle Fire made me use it less (I never rooted it).

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman