March 28, 2024, 10:33:27 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Mine was reboxed? Where's the free game/credit.  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Diver4242

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Mine was reboxed? Where's the free game/credit.
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
When I received my Nexus 7 (16gb) I noticed that there were two layers of the black tape that holds the cover on the box. The first layer was already cut, then someone retaped a second layer on it. Did anyone else notice that, or did I get a refurb (unlikely since it's new!) or something? Maybe they had to make changes after boxing them?

Second I don't see the free game I'm supposed to have on there - I see play books, play music, etc but don't see the game anywhere. do i have to download it? Also don't see the $25 credit, do I have to go to the google wallet or play store to see it?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Mine was reboxed? Where's the free game/credit.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
You will receive an email in your Gmail account when the credit is applied. If you previously had a Google Wallet, once you enter your Gmail account information it will setup automatically. If you created a Gmail account when you setup your tablet, just go to the Play Store and attempt to purchase something and you will be prompted to enter a credit card. After you enter the card information you can cancel the purchase before finalizing the order. From then on when you go to Google Play use the drop down menu in payment option to select $25 play credit.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline CATFISHJK1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
I'm not able to do anything with my N7. I thought maye I had to set up a gmail account first, so I did but still nothing. Mine comes up with English & I click ok. Then Select WIFI comes up. Mine says that my neighbors are out of range and that mine is secured with WEP. That's as far as I get. Now I'm really not dumb, just 64 yo. Yeh, I guess that would qualify as dumb. Do I need to contact my internet provider or am I just doing something wrong?   

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 05:21:09 PM »
So, you're unable to connect to your own secured network? You'll need your password, of course.

As to the OP, yeah, mine had two tape stickers on each side. I elected to have mine tied to my account when I purchased it so I suppose they opened it for that. Seems like that would be a tedious process. Maybe that's why the release seemed to be such a mess, even though I got mine by the middle of the month as promised.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Secured with WEP means that you have 10 digit numeric key that allows you to access your WiFi network. If your WiFi router was supplied by your ISP then contact them and they can help you locate the key, which may be on the bottom of your router. If someone else set the WiFi up for you contact them for the WiFi key. without the WiFi key you will not be able to establish an internet connection.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
Just a FYI, the WEP passcode is not necessarily all numeric and not necessarily 10 characters.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Nexus 7 actually supports the older WEP router security? It has been several years since WPA has become more standard.

Offline CATFISHJK1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Thanx people. I found the code. It's 4 numbers & 6 letters. The next problem is that I don't get any kind of screen to enter it. I guess I'm down until Monday until I contact my isp since thjey installed it. I'm thinking it's about 3-4 years old. Thanx again. 

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Thanx people. I found the code. It's 4 numbers & 6 letters. The next problem is that I don't get any kind of screen to enter it. I guess I'm down until Monday until I contact my isp since thjey installed it. I'm thinking it's about 3-4 years old. Thanx again.
It is not your isp
when you select your wifi and hit enter, it should prompt you, could someone here who has a nexus take a picture of the screen and help

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
Thanks Undo,  I am corrected, I should have said alpha numeric and I was assuming 64 bit (10 digit) , but it is possible it could have been 128 or 256 bit which require more digits. I will try to be more specific in the future. Now to CATFISHJK1, on the screen where you see your and your neighbor's networks listed, double tap on yours and you should be prompted for your key.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:24:16 PM by S.Prime »

Offline CATFISHJK1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
Thanx guys but that doesn't work either. Mine says secured with WEP and it has a tiny padlock next to it. Whether I single or double tap I get the same screen. It says signal strength excellent. security WEP. And then under that is cancel, forget or connect. When I tap connect it won't connect. After about 5 minutes it says wait 5 minutes and try again. Well, I've been trying again for 2 days now. I get no kind of screen to enter anything. I'm about ready to throw it out the door.   Thanx anyway though.

Offline pduffer

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
Where it says cancel, forget, or connect - choose forget.  That will cause it to forget any previously entered bad info.  Then select your router again and you should be prompted to enter the password you found.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »
Have you tried to connect any other device to your WiFi? If not ask someone to try and if they fail have someone who is knowledgeable of routers, check your's

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
Mine also had two layers of tape, but the $25 gift card and movie were on my Google Play account after logging in.

Offline Diver4242

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
Ok, all is resolved except where is the free game that's supposed to be on it? Or do I download it from somewhere? I don't see it in the apps anywhere.

Offline CATFISHJK1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
I want to thank everyone who helped. It took 25 minutes on the phone with my isp  reconfiguring my router and it's working now. Thanx again. I also apologze to the op for taking over his thread. That wasn't my intention. I thought I would only need a quick answer but I was wrong. I apologize again.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman