March 28, 2024, 08:36:36 AM

collapse

Author Topic: connecting micro usb/ethernet adapter for wifi use?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline sobwal

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
connecting micro usb/ethernet adapter for wifi use?
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:09 AM »
Just want to know if this is feasible. I'm in hospital with open WiFi. My room has horrible signal. I have a wifi router with high gain antenna. I was wondering if I could access the WiFi if I connected my tablet to my router via the ethernet adapter(albeit with a better signal) Any advice is appreciated.

Also, is it possible to simultaneously charge nexus in this type of situation?

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: connecting micro usb/ethernet adapter for wifi use?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »
I might ask the hospital IT department to install a repeater. Best wishes.(terse)

If using a router as a bridge, I don't think you can charge simultaneously with stock 4.2. You would need an ethernet adapter. It's possible the antenna on the back cover isn't making good contact with the circuit board spring connectors. There should be multiple wifi signals with a few of them open.(verbose)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:16:11 AM by matt »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
First off, your router would have to be set in bridge or extender mode, which having this ability is doubtful if it is a home class WiFi router. Also if your first question is how do I know if I have bridging or extending capabilities in my router,  you should be aware that even attempting this requires advanced networking knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
What he said.
Logging in to a hospital wifi has always used a web page authentication when I've tried. Getting the router to do this could be difficult.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:22:55 AM by matt »

Offline sobwal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies...

The IT dept won't install a repeater as our job doesn't require us to have WiFi access.

So, I may go for trying to bridge via repeater, I have dd-wrt flashed.  Having ability to charge simultaneously is pretty important to me. The other route I was considering, was using a dock...don't really want to do that though.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
From what I read on xda quite a while back, charging disables usb including the dock. There was a connect and charge rom that also needed a y cable. There may be a dual wifi or switching router that would act as a repeater without ethernet. For instance, my gauntlet 320 has a wifi pass-thru mode but it slows down the data rate by half.So you work at the hospital and are not a patient? I assumed wrong, sympathy retracted lol.

Offline sobwal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
I didn't know that about the dock. We'll see if I can get wifi repeat to work tomorrow...will have halved rate as stated, but it would be better than frequent dropped signal. In addition I'll still be able to charge. If I can't get it to work, then you can lay some sympathy on me.  :D Will update tomorrow, Thanks!

Offline sobwal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
Repeater mode up and running. Works great but I have to keep my virtual interface with no security. I tried to set up security but then my Nexus won't connect. Oh well...I'm happy as is.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
I think as a repeater it would use the security of the original signal. Congrajubilations, and tag you're the expert for the next guy.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman