2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Vs. The Competition

Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

(1/6) > >>

kyoo:
Can someone help me decide?

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-7-Inch-Wi-Fi/dp/B007P4VOWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340891219&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+galaxy+tab+2

Is the nexus really much better than the galaxy tab 2? the biggest draw from the galaxy tab 2 is what the nexus is lacking - the rear camera and the expandable memory

halibaitor:
I hear you.  I'm not sure the extra speed is as important as the rear camera and the microSD slot.  You actually need to play with BOTH tablets to make that kind of decision.  The Tab sure looks good to me.  :)

Babyfacemagee:
The screen on the Galaxy Tab 2 isn't as good.  It's 1024 x 600 resolution vs. the 1280 x 800 of the Nexus 7.   Also it's a dual core processor vs. quad core.  For the price I'd go with the Nexus 7 myself.  The only thing the Tab has over the Nexus 7 is the microSD card slot, which while certainly is convenient to expand memory...it's really not a deal breaker to me because I can just carry a microUSB stick with any extra media or files if I can't fit it all onto the 16GB of the Nexus 7 since it does have microUSB.  Maybe not quite as convenient as having sd build in but not a deal breaker to me.  Rear camera to me is useless.  I would never be using it personally and would much rather have the superior screen and processor/GPU.

halibaitor:

--- Quote from: Babyfacemagee on June 28, 2012, 08:16:35 AM ---   Also it's a dual core processor vs. quad core.  For the price I'd go with the Nexus 7 myself.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I couldn't resist, and ordered one myself. 

I keep hearing people talk about the "better" quad core as compared to the dual core CPU.  In real terms, will we actually see any performance difference in "normal" usage?  I understand it might make a difference for some games that require a high speed device.  Not everybody is into that.  I'm more concerned with browsing the internet and video chatting applications.  Any thoughts?

Babyfacemagee:
Yes, you'll see a more fluid experience in just about anything except for the most basic apps.   You'll also get faster multitasking, have images render faster, smoother video.   Not to mention that new apps are starting to become optimized for the Tegra 3 quad core.  It also provides better battery life because the Tegra 3 has a '5th' core that it uses during low power activities that extends battery life.  To me it's a no-brainer to go for the quad core over the dual. It's just a more sophisticated, more battery efficient design.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version