March 29, 2024, 09:11:40 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0  (Read 12607 times)

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:49:47 AM »
Can someone help me decide?

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-7-Inch-Wi-Fi/dp/B007P4VOWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340891219&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+galaxy+tab+2

Is the nexus really much better than the galaxy tab 2? the biggest draw from the galaxy tab 2 is what the nexus is lacking - the rear camera and the expandable memory

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
I hear you.  I'm not sure the extra speed is as important as the rear camera and the microSD slot.  You actually need to play with BOTH tablets to make that kind of decision.  The Tab sure looks good to me.  :)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
The screen on the Galaxy Tab 2 isn't as good.  It's 1024 x 600 resolution vs. the 1280 x 800 of the Nexus 7.   Also it's a dual core processor vs. quad core.  For the price I'd go with the Nexus 7 myself.  The only thing the Tab has over the Nexus 7 is the microSD card slot, which while certainly is convenient to expand memory...it's really not a deal breaker to me because I can just carry a microUSB stick with any extra media or files if I can't fit it all onto the 16GB of the Nexus 7 since it does have microUSB.  Maybe not quite as convenient as having sd build in but not a deal breaker to me.  Rear camera to me is useless.  I would never be using it personally and would much rather have the superior screen and processor/GPU.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline halibaitor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »
   Also it's a dual core processor vs. quad core.  For the price I'd go with the Nexus 7 myself.

Yeah, I couldn't resist, and ordered one myself. 

I keep hearing people talk about the "better" quad core as compared to the dual core CPU.  In real terms, will we actually see any performance difference in "normal" usage?  I understand it might make a difference for some games that require a high speed device.  Not everybody is into that.  I'm more concerned with browsing the internet and video chatting applications.  Any thoughts?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
Yes, you'll see a more fluid experience in just about anything except for the most basic apps.   You'll also get faster multitasking, have images render faster, smoother video.   Not to mention that new apps are starting to become optimized for the Tegra 3 quad core.  It also provides better battery life because the Tegra 3 has a '5th' core that it uses during low power activities that extends battery life.  To me it's a no-brainer to go for the quad core over the dual. It's just a more sophisticated, more battery efficient design.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
If I read it right the galaxy has no usb port, that is a killer - I would check on the usb - it is unclear.

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
tbh what this device makes me want most, is it's second generation iteration, as silly as that might sound - for all that they may address from the initial reactions.

i understand the microsd card slot absence, especially since they want to move to the cloud - but without 3g/4g, we can only access this data when we have wifi, correct?

one thing is for certain - i won't be interested in the kindle fire 2, no matter if it has a removable sd card and rear facing camera - i have no interest in the skin the kindle uses over the os

Offline halibaitor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
If I read it right the galaxy has no usb port, that is a killer - I would check on the usb - it is unclear.

Yeah, I had a brain glitch and forgot about that...  The problem is "solved" this way: http://www.cellphoneshop.net/otg.html

Offline Joeysarasota

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:40 PM »
The Nexus 7 is much better as follows. Much better display. Great three button soft keys. Fabulous Chrome browser. NO LAG screen response when moving from screen to screen. Faster processor. Vastly improved OS. Forget about any other 7 inch tablet on the market. This puppy is awesome. Google and Android have finally got it right. Want more storage ? Check out Google Drive for server storage via wifi. 5GB FREE, 25GB for $2.50 per month, 100GB for $5 per month.

Offline halibaitor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
The Nexus 7 is much better as follows. Much better display. Great three button soft keys. Fabulous Chrome browser. NO LAG screen response when moving from screen to screen. Faster processor. Vastly improved OS. Forget about any other 7 inch tablet on the market. This puppy is awesome. Google and Android have finally got it right. Want more storage ? Check out Google Drive for server storage via wifi. 5GB FREE, 25GB for $2.50 per month, 100GB for $5 per month.

Let me guess...  You work for Google?   ::)

Offline quadtronix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »
I'm liking the Nexus more and more as I read about it... tegra 3, jelly bean... $200. What's not to love? I am currently using the Galaxy Tab 7.0plus though and I love that too. Micro SD, back camara and exynos Soc at 1.2 ghz. I may get the nexus and just rock both but if I had to choose it would be a tough call... well between the tab 2 7.0 and nex I think u should go with the nex... good luck!  :)

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »
fyi with tax, shipping, and the 16gb, comes out to just around 300

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
I actually think if you're gonna compare another 7 inch tablet to the Nexus 7 a more even comparison is the Toshiba Thrive 7 inch.   It features the same resolution 1280x800 screen and has miniHDMI and microSD and a rear camera.  It is a bit bulkier and heavier however, has a dual core processor and costs roughly twice the price of the Nexus 7 ($379) so for the money again...the Nexus 7 is probably the better deal for most. 

Offline bradyfix

• Popularity: 2
  • "On the cusp of in the know" and EVOLVR.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
"  Rear camera to me is useless.  I would never be using it personally and would much rather have the superior screen and processor/GPU."

Same here, bought the 16gig so I could get all my apps off my evo4g, it's just so bogged down and I love my camera on the evolution, use it for work alot.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman