March 28, 2024, 02:06:18 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Any Regrets 8Ger's??  (Read 4877 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Any Regrets 8Ger's??
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Well I see my 8 Gigs are filling up rapidly... Maybe I should've cut loose with the extra 50 bucks for the 16G.  Any regrets, or plans to 'upgrade' your 8G?

curious radio...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:33:45 PM by radiocycle »

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Any Regrets 8Ger's??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
No regrets here. I bought my 8 gig device assuming I would feel 1.4 gigs with an astronomy program . two bird identification programs took up less space than I thought they would. I am currently with 3 gigabytes free space on my Nexus expectations of feeling much more space up. By the way, I dictated this message in its entirety using voice recognition. Finding voice recognition to be the best feature of my tablet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:21:07 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline edhunter

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
I've got the 16gb but I'm planning to use as little of it as I can as I've ordered a 64gb USB stick to use with stickmount.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
No regrets here. I bought my 8 gig device assuming I would feel 1.4 gigs with an astronomy program . two bird identification programs took up less space than I thought they would. I am currently with 3 gigabytes free space on my Nexus expectations of feeling much more space up. By the way, I dictated this message in its entirety using voice recognition. Finding voice recognition to be the best feature of my tablet.

Lemme see if I can do this right this time...  birdastompgman, did you use just the stock apps that came with your tab?  That seems really cool!

r

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Has anyone noticed Amazon is selling 8 GB N7s for $279?! That's a 40% markup.

What my post should have said ;)

No regrets here. I bought my 8 gig device assuming I would fill 1.4 gigs with an astronomy program.  Two bird identification programs took up less space than I thought they would. I am currently with 3 gigabytes free space on my Nexus, with no expectations of filling much more space up.  By the way, I dictated this message in its entirety using voice recognition.  I'm finding voice recognition to be the best feature of my tablet.

Radio, I'm using the OEM apps for browsing, map directions, navigation, etc.  Since we can't uninstall them, I'll use them. 

I <3 the voice recognition in the N7, so I'm learning how & when to use it.  It seems capable of adaptive learning.  The first time I spoke my brother's name (Dalton), the N7 translated it as something like "don't men."  I deleted the error, entered the correct spelling, and it got it right the next 4 times I said it.  Or maybe I enunciated my words better. There are some words it stumbles over.  Nexus gets converted to Texas.  Ma becomes mama.  So I pause after those words, and manually correct them.

I'm not a movie or audio buff.  I bought my N7 to run some specific astronomy, birding, and hypermiling apps.  The former two are fairly database-heavy.  The astro program has hundreds of thousands of star locations, planetary and comet orbits, etc.  The birding programs contain thousands of bird illustrations and songs.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:38 AM »
I went with the 16 Gig N7, and I have zero regrets.  I download plenty of audio and video podcasts, so this'll chew through 5 Gigs or more easy since some of the video podcasts can be 300-500 Megs each. 

Offline stinkyjak

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »
16GB Ran out of space within hours on downloads alone.  I couldn't imagine how sad I would feel with the 8gb version. Can't understand why no SD with no mobile connection. 8gb would work if one had 4G to use the cloud while out and about.
"I don't want to conquer anything. I just think the guy with the most freedom in this whole ocean... is the Pirate King!" Monkey D Luffy

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Not yet but I just got it this evening. I am struggling with some things, though. I think I'll read the user guide, like someone else recommended. I did not expect jellybean to be so different from honeycomb.

I installed 1 app so far, for Netflix, which was faultless. I'm watching the Dr. Who (new series, season 6) and the display is wonderful. I think I'm going to like the size of the screen. I am old and have vision issues, and a 10" tablet is just a little too big to fit in my trifocals mid-range.

I love all my e-toys. I was born too early to be a true natural-born geek, but I'm workin' on it!
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

Zell

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
No regrets either. Since I won't be putting music, photos, more than two movies at a time, or a ton of apps/games on my 8, that leaves me with plenty of room for whatever else. 16GB would be over-kill for me.  All that other stuff is on my iPhone4.

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
while $50 more for 8 gigs may be a ripoff, essentially it's a nice meal out. im glad iw ent with 16

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
while $50 more for 8 gigs may be a ripoff, essentially it's a nice meal out. im glad iw ent with 16

Yeah, I kinda wish I had thought that way when I ordered mine...

r

Offline richardright

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:57 AM »
I listen to streaming music and have never stored mp3s. And I have always deleted videos after I watch them.  so here's where I'm at... I have installed 110 apps, and still have more than 2 gigs left. even with the 8 gig model I can't imagine how I'm going to fill all that up.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
I listen to streaming music and have never stored mp3s. And I have always deleted videos after I watch them.  so here's where I'm at... I have installed 110 apps, and still have more than 2 gigs left. even with the 8 gig model I can't imagine how I'm going to fill all that up.

Very cool richardright, thanks for the post!  8G CAN be enough...

r

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
Has anyone noticed Amazon is selling 8 GB N7s for $279?! That's a 40% markup.

Many people have complained about Amazon stores, it is pure greed.

Offline DaveS

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
One week in and totally happy with 8GB. I like this little guy so much my laptop is just gathering dust now. I will happily pony up for an upgrade with rear camera and SD if it ever comes.
 Installed Skype, Google listen, king soft office, OIFile manager, flash, Firefox beta, TED, and most delightful of all, Chargebar.
 Love this thing.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts