March 28, 2024, 04:22:33 AM

collapse

Author Topic: App backups -- not  (Read 1365 times)

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
App backups -- not
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
Hello,

I completed all the puzzles on all the levels of a game called CrossMe Color. I then backed up the app using both AirDroid (to my PC) and My Backup Pro (online). It's a long story, but I had to do a factory reset on my N7. I restored the CrossMe Color app from both AirDroid and My Backup Pro -- and in both cases the app was blank, no data was saved. So all those weeks of effort to complete the puzzles is lost.

If this is how backups work, then what's the point of backing up any apps? -- since all apps are held in one's account in the Play Store and Amazon Appstore anyhow. Or, did I simply do something wrong during the backup process?

Cheers,
- martyh

JayJ

Re: App backups -- not
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:14 AM »
No idea what happened martyh, personally I used Helium for backups which work for rooted and non-rooted devices alike.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

I know it doesn't help your lost data but for future reference...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Re: App backups -- not
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
Thanks for your response, JayJ.

I did a bit of online searching and found Helium (formerly Carbon). I completed one level of my game, and then backed it up using Helium. I then uninstalled the app. Using Helium, I restored the app to my N7 and lo and behold there was the full completed first level!

It's my fault for not doing a test run like this on both AirDroid and My Backup Pro. Both have been uninstalled from my N7 as they are fairly worthless, at least to me. Helium is now my new backup for app data -- because it works.

But, yeah, a drag to have lost all that data, even though I was doing what I thought was the correct/right thing to do.

Cheers,
- martyh

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt