March 28, 2024, 03:44:52 AM

collapse

Author Topic: OTA Problems ?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
OTA Problems ?
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
Not having OTA Rootkeeper is a new one for me. I relied on that app only a handful of times, yet I surely took it for granted. I had an OTA update for 4.3 yesterday. I thought it was properly installed because I had a Supersu message popup warning about reestablishing root after the install. I am still rooted but apparently the update failed because I received another update. It failed as well but is hard to tell. The update does its thing and then boots to TWRP. No error message. I am thinking about storing my fresh root/ app install nandroid on the PC and going back to stock until all of these updates are finished.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OTA Problems ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
I'm far from being an expert but I believe I read somewhere that the OTA update patches all the files correctly but fails at the very end when it sets the permissions. So you would be running the latest version but it will still say it is the earlier version.
As I said, I'm a newbie but maybe this will shed some light for you.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
I'm far from being an expert but I believe I read somewhere that the OTA update patches all the files correctly but fails at the very end when it sets the permissions. So you would be running the latest version but it will still say it is the earlier version.
As I said, I'm a newbie but maybe this will shed some light for you.
Thanks for the info. I am confused at how you can tell if the update was successful then?

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:28:34 PM »
Apparently they checked the files one by one.
I don't have the URL but I'm pretty sure it was on Xda where you can search for it.

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Found this.

> It has something to do with supersu changing permissions that the update can't change. There is a fix for the supersu issue but all I did was follow
> http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/10/how-to-restore-your-2013-nexus-7-back-to-stock-using-a-full-factory-image-and-root-it/
>
> I'm stock but rooted and this helped me get on jss15q from jss15j without losing user data
>
>

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:27:36 AM »
The new update will be JSS15Q, previous was JSS15J so check your"About tablet" settings... I took the update yesterday before rooting so not had this myself. I suppose an advantage to getting the 2nd gen N7 a month after the US launch.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts