March 28, 2024, 07:16:53 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Should Google Make A Nexus Watch?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Should Google Make A Nexus Watch?
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »

There's been a lot of buzz over the past months about the coming wave of 'wearable' devices.  We've all seen Google Glass and this past week we've seen glimpses on some tech sites of a prototype of the upcoming 'Galaxy Gear' smartwatch.  Of course the big daddy rumor of them all is Apple's iWatch, which has been discussed and rumored for years it seems.  So if smart watches and other 'wearables' are going to become the 'next wave' of mobile tech kitsch, should Google set the standard by making a 'Nexus Watch'?  We've got a lot of smart and creative minds out there in the forum so on this Labor Day holiday here in the U.S. let's hear your thoughts of what such a Nexus 'smart watch' should be.  What feature set would get you excited to actually buy one and at what price?  Phone calls? Emails and notifications on your wrist?  Radio/music/camera?  Martini maker? (my personal fave).  Should it be an autonomous device or simply an extension of your phone...or both?  What say you forum members?

Wow, talk about kismet. This story came out today after I wrote the above piece.  It seems Google has been quietly working on just such an Android powered watch for at least the past year.  According to the story, work has been ongoing since the acquisition of 'WIMM Labs', the maker of the WIMM ONE watch, in a confidential deal last year that just today became public knowledge.

(concept art from T3.com)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:07:28 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Should Google Make A Nexus Watch?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:17 AM »
Yes. And if the price is reasonable, I'd buy it too.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
They should. And they should also finish glass.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
Glass stinks but a watch seems interesting. I'd like to see and I'm pretty sure Google is already working on this with the features included in the most recent update of Android. I'm of coarse taking about the notification listener.
I'd like to see active notifications, what I mean is notifications you can act on. With the Pebble it notifies you and then you have to pick up your device to act upon that notification which in my opinion is a waste but a watch which you can read, delete and archive your emails, SMS and other notifications is the way to go.
I'd like to see, or expect to see heavy Google Now integration, like what the Moto X can do but directly on the watch. Unlike the UI on the mock up above I don't expect Android UI as we know it but maybe a Google Now UX with card based notifications.

Sounds like the future to me...

Sent using The Force
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:52:26 PM by JayJ »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »
Glass stinks but a watch seems interesting. I'd like to see and I'm pretty sure Google is already working on this with the features included in the most recent update of Android. I'm if curse taking about the notification listener.
I'd like to see active notifications, what I mean is notifications you can act on. With the Pebble it notifies you and then you have to pick up your device to act upon that notification which in my opinion is a waste but a watch which you can read, delete and archive your emails, SMS and other notifications is the way to go.
I'd like to see, or expect to see heavy Google Now integration, like what the Moto X can do but directly on the watch. Unlike the UI on the mock up above I don't expect Android UI as we know it but maybe a Google Now UX with card based notifications.

Sounds like the future to me...

Sent using The Force

The video of the mockup above shows a 'Google Now' mode which I think looks pretty cool.  Kinda what you're talking about I think JayJ.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »
Sorry BFM I honestly didn't watch the video. Just took it from the Android UI in the stills that the mock up was more like the Android UI we see on our phones and tablets which is not really what I personally would expect from a watch. Running full Android UI on a watch even if Google are streamlining Android would be a battery killer.

Sent using The Force
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:58:32 PM by JayJ »

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
No watch for me.  When I retired from the Navy in 1989, I took my watch off and have never put one back on.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Watch ? Let's get the phones and tablets right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Dick Tracy videophone watch? Ow, it's burning my wrist!

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
I'm really interested in the possibility of a Nexus watch, I still own one of Sony Ericssons Live View watches and whilst not great it was the first of it's kind and shows Sony are great innovators.
I really don't like the idea of Google Glass, it's privacy that mainly concerns me and what I mean by that is whilst talking to somebody wearing Glass they could record me, share our conversation on Skype or any number of things I don't want them to do and I have no control over that. That's a privacy issue IMHO.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts