March 28, 2024, 07:05:08 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus suddenly not connecting  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Ketlan

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus suddenly not connecting
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
Hi, folks.

I've just done the big switchover from ADSL to fast fibre and suddenly my Nexus 7 (the older model, 32gb etc) won't connect to the wi-fi. The two laptops in the house connect fine. Any ideas?

Edit: I've clicked on 'Forget' and retyped my password (correctly) numerous times. So has my daughter and it's not working for her either. :(
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:53:24 PM by Ketlan »

JayJ

Re: Nexus suddenly not connecting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »
Does it find the new router when searching?

Check the router settings to see if the new router is on 5GHz frequency because the old Nexus 7 does have 5GHz, just 2.4GHz.

Sent using The Force

Offline Ketlan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the speedy response. :)

Yes, it sees the router and it operates on 2.4GHz.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
Your Nexus may not be recognizing the correct security level, so check your router to see if it supports WPS, if so tell your Nexus to forget the WiFi connection, press the WPS button on the Router and then connect the Nexus and enter the WPS  pin supplied with your router.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
I had the same problem with a Comcast router. I unplugged it /reset it and connected fine.

Offline Ketlan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:29:01 PM »
Your Nexus may not be recognizing the correct security level, so check your router to see if it supports WPS, if so tell your Nexus to forget the WiFi connection, press the WPS button on the Router and then connect the Nexus and enter the WPS  pin supplied with your router.

Many thanks but nothing happened. The 'manual' (actually four sheets of A4) I got with the router doesn't even mention the WPS button. Could you explain to a complete idiot (me) what it does.

I had the same problem with a Comcast router. I unplugged it /reset it and connected fine.

Great, I'll give that a try next. And thanks for your patience everyone. :)

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:09:13 AM »
WiFi Protected Setup, if there is no wps button, you may have to initiate it from within the router configuration, accessed with a browser on a computer. List your router model, maybe we can find more info. I believe my 2wire does it that way.(uverse fiber)

Offline Ketlan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:24:38 AM »
WiFi Protected Setup, if there is no wps button, you may have to initiate it from within the router configuration, accessed with a browser on a computer. List your router model, maybe we can find more info. I believe my 2wire does it that way.(uverse fiber

Useful to know. Thanks, Matt. No joy though. The router is a Technicolor TG582n Pro and was supplied (as is the fibre connection) by my ISP Zen Internet, one of the most reliable in the UK. There certainly doesn't seem to be a problem with the fibre or router - my laptop is connecting and operating blazingly fast, which for me is up to 59mps. :D

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Here's the manual

help.demon.net/files/2013/03/TG582n-User-Guide.pdf

If wps doesn't help, you could manually change the security of the router to say, wpa2, and then forget and reconnect all WiFi devices.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
Perhaps there is a forum member with the same router who could walk you through this?

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
If the WiFi key is 10 numbers, you have WEP encryption, which can be an issue. The number of digits and noting if they are numeric or alphanumeric, is a key to establishing your type of encryption.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Ketlan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
Well, many thanks to you guys who have all tried to help but in the end, the problem was so simple and idiotic that I'm almost too embarrassed to tell you.

Oh, what the hell...

I've never owned a smartphone, just a succession of Blackberry-type mobiles with mini keyboards, and I've never owned a tablet before - or indeed anything with a touch screen - so I've never been used to using an on-screen keyboard. As I've discovered, these are extremely sensitive and respond to even a suggestion of a touch.

I'd thought I had typed in the password correctly numerous times but a day or two ago I ticked the Show Password box and discovered that every time I'd touched the 'e' key, it had appeared twice. I don't use my Nexus for email or messaging so I'd never noticed before. When I removed the extra 'e's, the password was accepted and I got logged in straight away. I've spent the past couple of days experimenting with typing using the built-in keyboard and I'm obviously getting used to it because the problem seems to have disappeared.

My apologies for being so dim and again, thanks to everyone for their attempts to help. :D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman