March 29, 2024, 03:54:44 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline lincmi

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Is it worth it?
« on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »
So I'm sitting here with my 8GB 2012 Nexus 7 and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take the plunge for the new nexus 7, or should I maybe look into a surface or a win8 tablet.

At work, our intranet is active directory and our apps all rely on AD. The nexus 7 tablet is useless when it comes to using it for work. That's fine. The main question for me is, does the new Nexus 7 bring anything new to the table that apple or Microsoft left out? If I buy a keyboard will it hold up against a surface?

What were all of your thoughts after buying the new Nexus 7, having come from the 2012 model?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:26:00 AM by lincmi »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:15:21 AM »
As for the Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013. you have a thinner design, better screen clarity, more speed, and a rear facing camera as your main differences. I do not have a Surface, but I do have an Asus Taichi (ultrabook/tablet covetable) with i5, 4 GB ram, SSD, and full Windows 8 and I must admit that for speed, convenience, and user experience my Nexus 7 2013 is the device, that I reach for first, when it comes to email, forums, and casual Internet browsing. That said, I will have to admit, that when it comes to configuring a router, working on NAS, remote support, or anything that requires more computing power, if I am out of the office, Windows and the i5 processor, easily surpass the Nexus and Android. My suggestion is to consider my experience and compare that to your Nexus 7 usage experience and decided which tack would provide you with the best service.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Remember - there are two Surface systems , the ARM one which is its own subsystem and the surface pro.  MS has dropped the RT name so it is difficult to tell them apart.  You very probably want the one that runs all windows apps. 

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:13:40 AM »
So I'm sitting here with my 8GB 2012 Nexus 7 and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and take the plunge for the new nexus 7, or should I maybe look into a surface or a win8 tablet.

At work, our intranet is active directory and our apps all rely on AD. The nexus 7 tablet is useless when it comes to using it for work. That's fine. The main question for me is, does the new Nexus 7 bring anything new to the table that apple or Microsoft left out? If I buy a keyboard will it hold up against a surface?

What were all of your thoughts after buying the new Nexus 7, having come from the 2012 model?

Is this for real?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline StewMc

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »

Is this for real?

My thoughts exactly, Like, dude you're in a Nexus 7 forum. I would hope nobody would tell you to go buy some other product. :-) :-)

Offline lincmi

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

Is this for real?

My thoughts exactly, Like, dude you're in a Nexus 7 forum. I would hope nobody would tell you to go buy some other product. :-) :-)

Lol, in my defense I know a lot of people out there did the same as I did with the Nexus 2012: they were waiting for an inexpensive tablet, Google came out with one, they rushed to buy the N7 and then 6 months later they never touched it. I was hoping people could give me their honest opinions and experiences when they made the switch themselves.

To make this clear, I loved my N7. It was my one and only device when I went on my honeymoon! However, after awhile I began to see it as primarily an entertainment device.

Fast forward to today and they release the new N7 and the fan-boy in me totally wants to drop the money to buy a new one, but that other part of me is wondering if maybe a tablet that has the potential to provide a better experience on the keyboard for writing, or accessing IE, would be a better use of what little money this newly married man has to spend on gadgets. ;)

Anyway, I was just looking for thoughts and experiences from you guys after you had made the switch. S Prime, Ibm, thank you for your helpful replies! :)

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
It's a balancing act with me, I would prefer a more powerful device but not with the added weight of a larger battery needed to power it.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered my new laptop was not meant for lap use. And the nonstop rebooting from updates and OS authorization turned me off of macrohard. To run a number of virtual machines would require multiple licenses to get equivalent sandboxing as android. And updating all of that when the OS is obsoleted would be a pita as well.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
I have a Windows 8 Laptop and I rarely use it. My nexus is my go to device. You said that it wasn't necessary for the work thing..If I need to do Windows Office type work there are apps that are sufficient. Does it have short comings? Yes. We all do.  For the money, IMHO this is the best device in it's class out there.

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
I guess it's something only you can decide. I use my Nexus 7 mainly for media anyway, movies, games, You Tube, Netflix. I do use it for emails and some social"networking" like here and Google+ but I have very little need for a device like you. I do have a Laptop which I use from time to time but I don't use a Laptop for work unlike many.
I originally had a Nexus 7 2012 16GB which I upgraded to a 32GB, once the 2013 Nexus 7 dropped I had to to have one and it's nice. Better screen, it's definitely faster than the 2012 but is it really necessary, no probably not if it's not your primary device.

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:39 AM »
I rarely ever use my laptop. I'm always on my Nexus 7. I use it for everything, I love gaming, love watching movies on it, Love reading on it, and I love surfing the net on it. It's just an amazingly smooth and fast, I can't believe I could get such a great 32gb tablet for under $300. I had the Nexus 7 2012, and the first edition Kindle Fire prior to that, and though I loved them both, they can't compare to how great the Nexus 7 2013 edition is. Just having a blast with it.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman