March 28, 2024, 09:02:40 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Keyboard setting not sticking  (Read 2172 times)

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Keyboard setting not sticking
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »
I recently finally accepted the 4.3 ota update on my rooted Nexus 7 2013. It made me lose root, so I used the latest wugfresh nexus toolkit and the Samsung drivers to root again and had to reinstall TWRP again.

Since then I've noticed a new weird problem.

I've used SwiftKey pro for a long time and have it set as the default keyboard in the tablet settings. Since the 4.3 update the default keyboard setting resets itself to the Google English keyboard every time the nexus goes to sleep. I reset it in Settings /Language & Input and it stays that way until the tablet goes to sleep. When repowered up, it reset itself to the Google keyboard again. Really weird and annoying. I tried rebooting and that doesn't help.

Anyone else has seen this or knows how to fix it?

Thanks.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Keyboard setting not sticking
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
My first thought would be to uninstall SwiftKey and reinstall it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
You could try the latest (final) beta of new SwiftKey app.

Try http://bit.ly/sklayoutbeta3

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
Here's the reply I got from SwiftKey support. May be useful to others.
Google have made a change to their code that means that every time you reboot SwiftKey is deactivated and switched off. When the reboot happens none of our code is running, so there is no change that we can make that would have any effect.

Google did not intend for this to happen, and they have fixed it in a later version, but unfortunately it does often take a while for the updates to get around to everyone.

You can find a fuller explanation here http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/122554-default-keyboard-reset-on-every-restart-or-reboot-

Right now the only choices are: 
1 - continue to use SwiftKey (and turn it on every time you reboot your phone - if you place the SwiftKey icon on your home screen this will only take two clicks) 
2 - use another keyboard until it is fixed, then switch back to SwiftKey when you get the update 
3 - we can refund you for SwiftKey

Sorry we can't be more help, 
Needless to say I didn't accept their kind refund offer. It's a great app.

I'll try uninstalling /reinstalling SwiftKey but will probably just stick it out. I'll also check that Greenify is not hibernating SwiftKey without my knowing it.

Thanks everyone.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »
Here's the reply I got from SwiftKey support. May be useful to others.
Google have made a change to their code that means that every time you reboot SwiftKey is deactivated and switched off. When the reboot happens none of our code is running, so there is no change that we can make that would have any effect.

Google did not intend for this to happen, and they have fixed it in a later version, but unfortunately it does often take a while for the updates to get around to everyone.

You can find a fuller explanation here http://support.swiftkey.net/knowledgebase/articles/122554-default-keyboard-reset-on-every-restart-or-reboot-

Right now the only choices are:
1 - continue to use SwiftKey (and turn it on every time you reboot your phone - if you place the SwiftKey icon on your home screen this will only take two clicks)
2 - use another keyboard until it is fixed, then switch back to SwiftKey when you get the update
3 - we can refund you for SwiftKey

Sorry we can't be more help,
Needless to say I didn't accept their kind refund offer. It's a great app.

I'll try uninstalling /reinstalling SwiftKey but will probably just stick it out. I'll also check that Greenify is not hibernating SwiftKey without my knowing it.

Thanks everyone.

Great info! Thanks for the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:44 AM »
Reading the entire post, it appears to apply to Samsung devices on Android 4.1 and has since been corrected, so it should not be the issue on your Nexus 7 2013 with 4.3. Personally I have used SwiftKey for tablets on both of my Nexus 7's and SwiftKey for phones on my Galaxy S3 without issues. I suggest that you uninstall your current version of SwiftKey and install the latest version, released yesterday at the following Google Play Link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline nexusNovice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »
Reading the entire post, it appears to apply to Samsung devices on Android 4.1 and has since been corrected, so it should not be the issue on your Nexus 7 2013 with 4.3. Personally I have used SwiftKey for tablets on both of my Nexus 7's and SwiftKey for phones on my Galaxy S3 without issues. I suggest that you uninstall your current version of SwiftKey and install the latest version, released yesterday at the following Google Play Link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

I tracked down the problem as due to my misuse of the Greenify app. After the 4.3 update and my restoring of root and various apps,  I discovered Greenify was hibernating SwiftKey. Once I removed it from the list of apps Greenify would hibernate, the problem went away.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman