March 28, 2024, 01:54:19 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Opera and the Flash fix  (Read 3701 times)

Offline edwind

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Opera and the Flash fix
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
I have a Gen 1 Nexus 7.
My work involves shooting 360ยบ panoramic virtual tours. I often need to show these off-line.
Many months ago, I read somewhere that by changing the User Prefs in the settings of the Opera browser, to 'Allow File XMLHttpequest' would solve the problem. It did. I went happily showing off my work whenever I pleased.
Recently, after an automatic update, Opera ceased to allow access to these files. The 'user:config' is no longer available to repeat the previous adaptation.
Does anyone know of any other work-around to my problem of not being able to show flash based applications on my Nexus?
I have tried Firefox, Opera Mini and Puffin (which is supposed to have flash built in but is not offered when the file is triggered).
Any help would be most appreciated.

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Opera and the Flash fix
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
I can't test it without your file on my device, but flash fox works for most web sites with the exception of geographically blocked content. For non mobile flash vids , change to desktop mode. Perhaps you could roll back the opera update as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Offline edwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:24:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply but perhaps I did not make it clear enough that the file I want to play is on my sd card within the tablet, not on a website. This is what I meant by playing content 'off-line'.

Rolling back updates is not an option because that installation of Opera was uninstalled when it stopped working. (Stupidly on my part, maybe.)

The content is an interactive tour such as this http://dld.bz/millsandbloom

Please do not assume that I would know how to 'roll back updates' or 'change to desktop mode' without instruction. I do really appreciate your help with this. Just please assume you are talking to an idiot who needs step by step instruction.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:35 AM »
You were clear, the problem isn't. Since flash no longer supports android the methods for enabling it are varied. Besides flash fox, which is a flash enabled Firefox, I don't know what will work. The browsers that convert flash content in the cloud to a compatible format won't work offline. If opera worked, there is opera classic you could try. We need a time machine repository of all versions of apps to choose from.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
You could try going to settings/device/apps/Opera/clear data.   No guarantees but worth a shot.

Offline edwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Thanks guys. Before I try your suggestion bjs229 I re-installed Opera Classic, found the config page, checked the option allow xml etc.. then got this error message;
LOCALHOST
eRROR:DOMException:NETWORK_ERR
Anyone?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
I would email the developer of opera since it worked before. The address should be on Google play. I ran your link above with flash fox successfully over WiFi, no idea if it would work with local files.

sent from me n7 using tappitytalk 4

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
A different tack... In Google play search for XML viewer. If that is the extension of the file. Or swf viewer for shock wave flash, etc. There are a number of these apps to try!

sent from me n7 using tappitytalk 4

Offline edwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:36 AM »
To avoid confusion about what kind of viewer, xml v swf, lets just re-track.

It is a Flash based programme, it used to work in Opera after checking the box in UserPrefs to 'Allow XMLHttprequest', it doesn't anymore.

Since Opera updated, I couldn't find the exact same worded UserPref 'Allow XMLHttprequest' so maybe the one I checked is not the right one. I was hoping someone who understands UserPrefs (not me obviously) could tell me which UserPref is the one I do need to check to facilitate the interactivity of these files as it did before.

Sorry to be a pain. This is the only reason I got the Nexus 7. The virtual tours are part of a service I am licensed by to provide as a Google Trusted Photographer. I figured that a 'Google' Nexus would probably offer most compatibility. And indeed it did for around 9 months.

I can make the tour in either swf or html5(xml) (I do both for webpages, so that they suit many browsers and devices) if this helps you to guide me to a solution. Of course they work both on-line and off-line on PCs and Laptops.

Offline edwind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »
Great news guys. I had another look at the user pref in Opera Classic and found the XMLHttprequest in a different section, but thankfully it now works again.

This is really good news because I had tried other viewers, some paid, some free but none of them opened my files except Opera.

I do thank you guys though for giving me the hope to carry on looking.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
Cool.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »
If an update kills it again, go to settings/apps and tap opera classic. You may be able to undo the update there. Don't allow automatic updates on play store, and you're set.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
Scratch that, uninstall updates is only for Google apps.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts